HELP me backup please.

Reaction score
Running 10.5.8, I would like to backup to a dvd and realize this is old school thinking and have been told to goto pref. advanced and set it up. There is no option to backup anywhere not to cd, dvd or ext. drive. I find it hard to believe that the only option is signing up to let apple do it for 25.00 a year. Man life forms are slipping when everything becomes a monthly service.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Time Machine is what you're looking for - and it only backs up to external hard drives. It's completely automated - that is, you just "set it and forget it".

How to Use Time Machine on a Mac Leopard 10.5 | wikiHow

Writeable CDs/DVDs are not an ideal backup medium because contrary to popular belief, they do begin to degrade over time and will eventually be unreadable. Commercially pressed discs are more stable, but writeable discs use chemical processes to be written to and those chemicals cause the disc to have a finite lifespan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Another option is to make an image of the files/folders you want to back up. Then write the image to your cd/dvd drive. Won't be automatic but will do for manual periodic backing up of just the items you want to save.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Or...
Create a Burn Folder (Finder, File, New Burn Folder), copy the files to that and then burn to DVD (File Burn xxx).

C

chas_m

The $25-per-year service you are thinking of is iTunes Match, which only backs up songs. External hard drives are (still) silly cheap so just get one of those and use Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.