Question about jailbroken tethering

Reaction score
My friend believes his jailbroken tethering app doesn't deplete his data plan. Is this correct or is he full of it? Thanks in advance

C

chas_m

He is completely full of it. Of course he will find this out himself the hard way when he exceeds his limits. TTNSTAAFL.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your friend is correct in that if you don't use the the built-in tethering and use a third party hack that provides the conduit outside of the OS, you will not need to incur a tethering fee as you would on most US providers.

With that said, as chas_m mentioned, you WILL use data and if you exceed your cap, you'll pay for it just as you would in any other circumstance. Additionally, the US carriers are currently on a mission to track down people who use unauthorized tethering to force them to pay for it. Tracking it is child's play, since all they need to do is determine what MAC (address, not computer) traffic is destined for or originating from and compare it to that of the phone.

If you are found to be tethering unauthorized, AT&T will automatically put you on a tethering plan. With Verizon, I've heard stories that they will find you in violation of your contract and penalize you as per its terms.

Either way, it's not something I'd play around with unless you're ready for battle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.