PowerBook G4 Pro Repairing

Reaction score
Okay so... My Uncle received a PowerBook G4 Pro 17 Inch from His Brother.

When he got it, he said it had a ugly looking blue apple at the top left, so I was like okay it had OS X Tiger.

He said it would boot fine, some times it would take a while for the screen to show up after you hear the noise in the beginning, but it would boot fine. The problem was that it would boot, log him in, but then crash and freeze etc...

So... he told me he decided to "scrap" it, and instantly my mouth was like :eek: I was in shock.

So in the pictures below, that's everything he took out.

photouij.jpg

photocopy3.jpg

photocopy2.jpg

photocopyy.jpg

In my opinion, I think he took the RAM, and the HDD and that's about it.

He kept the battery, but it's shot so you have to plug it in for it to boot (if it would boot).

But, in the last pic, it looks like he cut wires, and I'm not sure what went there previously, but that's what it looks like to me.

So I was wondering if someone could tell me what I would need to buy and to do to get this bad boy running again, cause I wouldn't wanna see such a computer put down for something as dumb as that.

Thanks,
Eric.

OP
N
Reaction score
What Are these Wires To?

As the Titles Says, I want to know what these wires are to in my PowerBook.

My Uncle gave it to me, said if I could fix it, it's mine.

Took out the battery, and the other top, to find out that he cut 2 pairs of wires.

photocopyy.jpg

That's the Picture of the wires, there's that set, and another set of wires all the way on the top right corner.

Just wondering what that's for and/or how to fix that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Looks like the main PSU to me. Good luck fixing that!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I merged your two threads. Please just post a single thread per topic. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Those sets of wires look like their going to the Power Supply (where the battery connects)

Not sure why he would cut that...totally unnecessary for the removal of the HD and ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.