Macbook Pro help needed.

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post here.

I still have a lot to learn, even tho I have had my Macbook about a year now.

Lately it has been locking up on me. Its happening more often. The only way I have found to temerarally fix it is to re-start.
Is there a "refresh" on a Mac? Or maintanence, I should be doing?

Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,
This is my first post here.

I still have a lot to learn, even tho I have had my Macbook about a year now.

Lately it has been locking up on me. Its happening more often. The only way I have found to temerarally fix it is to re-start.
Is there a "refresh" on a Mac? Or maintanence, I should be doing?

Thanks.

First, assuming you have Internet access (assume so since you are posting here) Software Updater ought to routinely check for updates. If it isn't you can access it from the Apple menu.

Second, go to Application>Utilities and run Disk Utility. Select your Hard Drive and click on Repair Permissions.

Third, download Onyx and run it.

Fourth (and maybe first) check your dusk free space. You should have at least 15% free space for optimum performance.

EDIT: BTW welcome to the Forum

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks Razormac,

Do I click on verify disc to check disk space?
Just finished running the repair. Hopfully it will run smoother now.
Also do I download onyx from the apple site?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Razormac,

Do I click on verify disc to check disk space?
Just finished running the repair. Hopfully it will run smoother now.
Also do I download onyx from the apple site?

Right click on your HD icon and select Get Info from the menu. It will tell you a lot, including your HD size and available space

Onyx
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

OP
A
Reaction score
OK,
still having problems even running onyx.
3rd time re-typing this because the screen keeps freezing.
Heres what happens, If I start or reply to a thread, hit reply, the screen just freezes. If I wait long enough, I get a Safari can't connect to server error.
If I go to any other site, it wont open.
If I re start, things will work again for a while.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Did you move from Snow Leopard to Lion?

OP
A
Reaction score
Did you move from Snow Leopard to Lion?

Probably not.? Not sure what we're talking about here.

Since last post things have been working better, but still have to restart from time to time. Seems to act up more on certain sites for some reason.

C

chas_m

It sounds like you have never, ever done any kind of maintenance or backup, so the first thing I'm going to suggest is that you develop a backup strategy. QUICKLY.

Time Machine is probably the easiest. Just plug an external drive into your machine and let TM take care of the backup.

If you feel you are clueless on how to do basic maintenance on your Mac, call up a local Apple Authorized dealer or Apple Store and tell them this. They can step you through the basics.

Until backups and a basic maintenance run using Disk Utility is done, it's going to be very hard to say from here whether you are having small issues due to lack of maintenance or if you're having larger issues like, for example, a failing hard drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also what model Mac is this? What version of OSX is installed? You can find out the OS version by clicking the Apple in the top left of the screen and about this mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
It sounds like you have never, ever done any kind of maintenance or backup, so the first thing I'm going to suggest is that you develop a backup strategy. QUICKLY.

Time Machine is probably the easiest. Just plug an external drive into your machine and let TM take care of the backup.

If you feel you are clueless on how to do basic maintenance on your Mac, call up a local Apple Authorized dealer or Apple Store and tell them this. They can step you through the basics.

Until backups and a basic maintenance run using Disk Utility is done, it's going to be very hard to say from here whether you are having small issues due to lack of maintenance or if you're having larger issues like, for example, a failing hard drive.

I ran the disk utility, but haven't backed anything up yet.
Where is the best place to buy an external hard drive? Best buy or a computer store?

C

chas_m

I'm not sure there'd be any substantive difference in price. My first thought was Costco I suppose.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure there'd be any substantive difference in price. My first thought was Costco I suppose.

Chas,
A thought,
The only thing I would need to backup on this machine is photos.
What If I burn them to a disc, and reformat my hard drive.
I have used the disc utility a few times. There are areas where it says things dont match up. But the repair disc icon never lights up, or stays grey, whatever.

Mike

OP
A
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. But still wondering if all I need to backup is photos,
Do I really need to backup this info?
Why not just burn it to a disc then erase the hard drive and start over?

Maybe there is something I don't understand about all this. If I'm missing something, splain it to me please.:[

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link. But still wondering if all I need to backup is photos,
Do I really need to backup this info?
Why not just burn it to a disc then erase the hard drive and start over?

Maybe there is something I don't understand about all this. If I'm missing something, splain it to me please.:[

You don't have ANY other data or settings you care about?

What about:
1) Bookmarks
2) Mail
3) Contacts
4) Documents
5) Router settings

etc etc etc

The advantage of having a backup, especially a bootable one, is not losing the customization and data (documents, photos etc) that most of us have invested many many hours in developing.

If none of that is important to you, then by all means burn your files to disks (use more than one for safety) and go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'm partial to Newegg. But, since we're talking about back ups, it may be best to buy one locally to do the back up asap. Check the papers tomorrow. I'm sure that all the big box stores are having sales right now!

OP
A
Reaction score
It seems I'm dealing with an instability with safari. Everything appears ok with the disk and all other programs work fine.
Someone suggested using firefox.
You guys have any info on that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.