Help with app store in os x 10.6.8

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new - both to this forum, and to Macs. I have a MacBook Air, running OS X Snow Leopard, the latest version 10.6.8.

I want to upgrade to the new LION OS. However, for reasons unknown to me, the "AppStore" application in 10.6.8. has been corrupted. When I click on the icon for it, it says Safari (latest version) cannot open it because of missing files.

I thought about re-installing the entire OS 10.6.8 - but because I am traveling in Asia, I don't have the thumb drive with me, and a download says it will take several DAYS. (Not the best internet service where I am).

When I tried the "update software" option under the Apple logo, I wait 10 minutes for it to scan, then it says, "There is no new software - your software is updated.) So it does not recognize that part of the OS is corrupted, or missing.

My question is, is it possible to somehow re-install just the App Store to 10.6.8? Other forum discussions say yes - but they all just point me to the Apple page that says click on the "upgrade software" with the result above - no upgrade available.

Is there a way to upgrade to Lion WITHOUT the App Store software?

My only other option seems to be to wait 20 days until I get back to the States to get my thumb drive - but even THEN I'm concerned about re-installation of the entire OS just to get the freakin' App Store debugged.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're missing files, my guess would be your only options are probably to download and install the "10.6.8 combo update" - google should bring it up as first hit - or buy the thumb drive version of Lion if it's available where you're located right now.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the combo update idea - that seems to have worked.

Cheers -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.