Can't turn off my mac!

Reaction score
I have a macbook with Snow leopard and I recently started having issues. Last week I closed my mac as usual, but this time when I opened it up the screen was black, meaning no power. I pressed the power button repeatedly but would not work. Then I took the battery out and replaced. After about 40 minutes the screen came back on, but it this time it said to "power off and restart." I did, however it made me do this about ten times then powered off again. Luckily after pressing keys and the power button out of panic it worked and everything came back on. I closed my mac by habit when I was done and it did it again! Now I am afraid to turn off my mac. : ( What is up with this???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It sounds like it is getting stuck in sleep mode.
I would plug it in to the mains (not rely on the battery), and then get your install disc and run disk utility to verify your permissions and check your HD is ok, and not corrupted somehow.
Reboot and repeat the closing proceedure you use to see if it happens again.

OP
G
Reaction score
That's the thing. The battery is pretty old, so I have to have my laptop plugged in all the time. So it has been plugged in while this issue has been going on. Could it be that the battery needs to be replaced completely? I've been going to school so I've been strapped for cash in order to buy a new battery. I'll give your advice a shot and see what happens though. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's the thing. The battery is pretty old, so I have to have my laptop plugged in all the time. So it has been plugged in while this issue has been going on. Could it be that the battery needs to be replaced completely? I've been going to school so I've been strapped for cash in order to buy a new battery. I'll give your advice a shot and see what happens though. Thanks!

Absolutely. There is an easy way to test though... remove the battery. If the problem doesn't persist, you know it's related.

You don't have to get your replacement battery from Apple, there's lots of good 3rd party vendors who offer great quality batteries that meet or exceed the quality of Apple's OEM battery and are less expensive:

FastMac | Product - Laptop Battery Upgrades
Quality Battery Options for Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro, Powerbook G3/G4, iBook G3/G4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.