Wrong RAM from the Factory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27", 16 GB RAM, Time Capsule, Parallels 7
Long story short:

New iMac 27" (Nov. 2011) had 1067 Mhz Ram installed instead of the 1333 Mhz that is specified. Also, those two DIMMs that made up the default 4GB were from two manufacturers. (***)

Naturally I only discovered this after trying two different sets of DIMMs while trying to upgrade to 8GB. The Apple store fixed the problem, but I had to bring my 30 pounder into the store... in the mall... on a rainy Saturday... two weeks before Christmas (ouch-crowded).

Moral: Make sure you got what what you paid for.

Thanks for listening.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's really odd. Where did you purchase it from originally?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the staff (at least one of which was a well experienced) were shaking their heads over this one.

I purchased it at the Apple store in the La Cantera Mall in San Antonio Texas, and as an experienced purchaser of all things technical for more years than I care to admit, I was watching very closely for signs of re-packing etc. It looked completely pristine out of the box, including boot up OS setup, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would say with your other post on wrong OS someone besides Apple has been in that computer ram was changed one model year ago from 1067 to 1333.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... you're probably right, and I'm afraid I'm just not ready to let this go with out reaching out to some McSupport folks higher on the apple tree (sorry - it has been a long day)

Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Make sure it has the right processor and you didn't get last years model.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - so, I scheduled a support call and told them my concerns about the wrong RAM (which, incidentally was from two different mfrs.) and implications of possible tampering and at least quality control issues and they said "it must have been a fluke, all these DIMMs look alike and the assembler maybe picked from the wrong basket".

We checked the other major components against the specs and they all checked out. Unlike the PC there are very few replaceable subcomponents. Most everything is soldered in.

I followed up with customer service just to let them know the long history my girlfriend and I have with our two week old iMacs (see my Wrong OS post). They seemed to sincerely appreciate the feedback.

C'est la vie say the old folks..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.