Help Returns Blank Pages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi Everyone!
I tired searching this forum for the answer & came up empty. So, please forgive me if it is, indeed, here somewhere.

I was using iPhoto & opened "Help". Several of the pages came up blank when I clicked "Show". A few other OS X apps are doing the same thing today. I tried shut down & re-boot to no avail.

I took these from the User/Library:
com.apple.helpviewer.plist
com.apple.help.plist

Then I shut everything down & started over. The same problem returned. I'm sure the pages exist, as I've been to them in the past.

Did I miss something? I sure appreciate any help you might be able to lend!
(I tried searching 'Help' in Finder. Blank pages! Like having a life preserver with a hole in it.)

Thanks very much!
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try the iPhoto plist. Move the current one to your Desktop in case you want it back.
...and the Finder plist

If that fails, or instead of the above, try a different user account.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi toMACsh!
Thanks you for the ideas.
First I tried moving the iPhoto plist. That didn't work, so I tried Finder's. Still no luck.
I went to the other user account on this mac & had the same blank help pages as in the main account.

For some reason (I don't know why I tired this), I disconnected from the internet. All of a sudden, every help page in all the applications I had trouble with yesterday & today opened fine. These are normal search result pages, not the linked articles at the bottom. Crazy, Huh?

Is there some relationship between Help & being on line? Does a query go to Apple's site first, then to the hard drive's help files?

I'm really puzzled now!
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I dunno. I just tried Help in an app while connected to the internet. It worked fine.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!
I think my next step is to clear the cache files & do some maintenance with Onyx, repeat ditching plist files & see if that corrects the problem.
I thought about re-installing iPhoto, but the quirkiness has spread to other programs.
After that, I'll mess around like a crazy person & post whatever I find that works!
Thanks again for the ideas! I appreciate your input.
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.