Home User Folder Size Management Question

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tried searching threads and I didn't find anything too specific on the topic (and if I am wrong, I apologize).

So, my question is does anyone know/recommend/have tips in how to manage the Home User Folder Size? My user folder is 175 gbs and I really want to trim it down.

Don't get me wrong I'm somewhat of a power user with a 30gb music folder, a 20 gb iPhoto folder, 40gb documents folder (vms), but my Application Support folder is a whopping 90gbs. Now, I figure that my iPhone/iPad backups are in there, etc. but is there a way to minimize all of this junk? It's just really obnoxious doing Time Machine backups and it being 40gbs when I haven't done much since the last update.

Any ideas? I really appreciate any input.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, of course you can delete things from the AS folder if they are for applications you no longer have installed. But beyond that, be very cautious.

I don't use TM, but can't you set it to only replace items in your previous backup that have been modified?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.