Two Finders!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
Just right now Finder became unresponsive. I would click on the dock icon and a new window wouldn't come up, but when I clicked on my Desktop, it said Finder next to the Apple logo. I looked up the problem online and I read that you can relaunch Finder using Force Quit. So I went to the Apple and clicked on Force Quit. When I opened Force Quit I saw that there were two instances of Finder opened...not two windows, but two entirely different processes named Finder. I shut down my computer and started it up again and now Finder works just fine. Out of curiosity I went back to Force Quit and now there's only one instance of Finder. How the heck did I get two open at the same time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you by chance have a small application called "FIWI" installed? It creates a second instance of Finder to use for file managing. Other than that, it may have been a glitch.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the only new software that I added was Sophos...don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the quick reply

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turns out the problem was Docker. I had just downloaded it from MacUpdate based on the good reviews, but just right now I tried to customize my dock and the same thing happens. If anyone else has this problem I hope this helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I seem to remember that it didn't work right for me either - but that was some time ago with an older version. Uninstall it and try SuperDocker instead as it works fine with both Snow Leopard and Lion.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.