Everything's screwed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hey,

I've had my iMac for 2 years. I bought it from an Apple store in September 2009. It was Leopard OS X. I use it for graphic design (Adobe Suite CS4), visual projection (Resolume Avenue 3), audio production (Logic 9) and DJing (Virtual DJ 7.0.4).

About 6 months ago I started experiencing lagging on a few of these programs so I formatted my Mac... the reinstall of OS X stopped half way through and refused to go any further. The only option I had was to install from my friends removable hard-drive and use his Time Machine file. He had Lion. Lion is now installed on my Mac, but programs won't work on it.

I have tried to reinstall Leopard and Snow Leopard but now it says,

"You can't use this version of the application Install Mac OS X with this version of Mac OS X.
You have Install Mac OS X 23.1."

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

:)

Kev

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to need to wipe that hard drive clean and start over. And please buy your own copy of Snow Leopard, Lion, whatever. Don't "borrow" someone else's copy as that is in violation of the Apple EULA.

Also, it appears that some of your apps are not compatible with Lion as they contain PPC code. Snow Leopard is probably as high as you can go without upgrading your software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Given that your install failed, I would suggest that your HD has failed, and needs replacing.
Doing this would give you the chance to install whichever OS you need to run your programs.
It is not unknown fro drives to die like this in such a short space of time BTW.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
It's all sorted, had to fully wipe the hard drive, but it wouldn't let me do it normally so I had to network it with another Mac and do it from there...

I went into the Mac store and got them to put the OSX on there as I didn't want to use his again, and mine is still at home.

I'm a good person, but I pay no heed to stupid little laws such as "Don't use someone else's disc." Morally I'm doing nothing wrong... if the developers of the software can't sort out proper payment with the distributors of Mac's worth thousands of pounds, then that's their fault. If I spend 2000 on a Mac, I expect to be able to use any copy I like.. I've already paid my due, and I need to finish University.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
That'll get you locked up where I'm from....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a good person, but I pay no heed to stupid little laws such as "Don't use someone else's disc."

Well you cannot be all that "good" of a person if you believe ignoring laws/rules that you don't believe in is acceptable!

If you feel that a rule/law is "stupid"...then do your best to try and change that rule/law...but in the meantime...follows the rules/laws.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm a good person, but I pay no heed to stupid little laws such as "Don't use someone else's disc." Morally I'm doing nothing wrong... if the developers of the software can't sort out proper payment with the distributors of Mac's worth thousands of pounds, then that's their fault. If I spend 2000 on a Mac, I expect to be able to use any copy I like.. I've already paid my due, and I need to finish University.
Purchasing a machine from Apple doesn't give you a licence (figuratively and literally) to install whatever copy of OS X you want whenever you want. You paid for what came in the box and nothing more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
That's like buying an Xbox and then stealing games for it because you already own the device. IMO, buying th software is worth it, mainly because you don't feel guilty for booting up your computer everyday. Also, because it's insanely cheap. $29.99 for all my computers? **** yeah!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.