• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD burning software/DVD's to Ipod

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mac world and I must say I love it so far. I'm looking for a dvd burning software, I used slysoft products on my pc and they always worked but they dont offer a Mac version. Please let me know what you are using. Also I would like to know what software to use to put my dvd's onto my Ipod/Iphone ect.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The mac comes with a basic disk burner built into the OS, but there is also the open source Burn
Burn - Home

The best pay for Burner for Mac is Toast
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD & DVD Burning for Mac

Its a pain, but converting commercial DVDs to iPhone format is technically against the law so cannot be discussed here. If the DVD is without DRM then start with Handbrake

HandBrake

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Most of the typical disc-burning tasks are built right in. iDVD can burn video DVDs, iTunes can burn music CDs and Disk Utility can burn ISOs and the like. You can create a plain data disc right within the Finder. But as louishen correctly pointed out, it appears that you're not looking to burn discs, but rip them (i.e. extract a DVD into a format that can play on iDevices). While we don't discuss ripping of commercial discs on this forum, that is the primary function of Slysoft's products.

If you truly do need an all-in-one product to burn discs, the open source Burn is a good start. Toast is far more robust and has a suite of tools to do different kinds of audio/video conversions and may be worth the outlay of cash, depending on what your true goal is here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.