• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Motorola wins Apple patent fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hopfully it will knock apple down a few pegs on their relentless suing of other companies. I love my apple products but apple is making it seem they invented everything! maybe google should sue apple for down right ripping off the notification center from android, or blackberry for pretty well ripping off blackberry messenger. See where this is going....apple needs to stop with the litigation and start with the innovation unless it was really true that steve was the entire company.....that would be a shame...Its not starting off good, all apple did since steve left controll was head to the courtroom and copy some things someone else already done. they broght the iphone 4 to standard spec instead of releasing the ip5 with top spec to prove they will still compete after mr. Jobs departure from control. Now it looks like what us apple fans feared is that there is no one with vision at apple, just a great legal team. or not so great depending on how you look at it.

Pretty soon courtrooms all over the world will just see apple vs. xxx on the docket and toss the case...because most times its just apple trying to stop competiton. In my own business I dont try to destroy the other guys, I just strive to be better! and with that bring success! worked for 30 plus years....work for 30 more!....everytime I see the competition put up a building I dont go hey im suing you for using the same size building or the same shape building. yours cant have flat walls or a rectangle shape....thats pretty well what apple is trying to do with samsung. down right idiotic!...

get back in the lab apple and make something remarkable again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry about it.

By the time this is all finalized it will be old hat technology anyway.

Appeal details

Patent watchers say it could be years before the case is resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, pretty much, Apple went to Motorola asking to pay to use a patent, but Motorola knew that they could force Apple to either pay an exorbitant rate that was well above the frand rate, or have them not pay it since Apple told them what they were willing to pay for it, and sue them later for using it without their right.

If Motorola did follow the frand(fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) rules, why did they try to extort money from Apple knowing they weren't willing to pay it?

Reaction score
i guess payback is a ....you know what. i always find it funny that in the eyes of mosr apple users the company can do no wrong. im glad im a user who is actually seeing past all the fireworks and babyfarts. the more i follow apple, the more I dislike them as a business. i love my mini, iphone and periferals. howevdr if you dont follow the fruit to the nth degree they have no use for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i guess payback is a ....you know what. i always find it funny that in the eyes of mosr apple users the company can do no wrong. im glad im a user who is actually seeing past all the fireworks and babyfarts. the more i follow apple, the more I dislike them as a business. i love my mini, iphone and periferals. howevdr if you dont follow the fruit to the nth degree they have no use for you.

Umm, you do realize that Motorola sued Apple first when this dispute first started, right?? As a company, Motorola has sued WAY more companies over patents that they never even created/invented, but bought out to secure. And you blame Apple? Your response is more of a troll's response than that of a person viewing this without any sort of bias, as you claim.

Do you even know how many years Motorola sat on their patent before suing Apple, even though their claim is that they used their patents long before the iphone and iPad? I'll give you a hint, Apple's bank was no where near as large!

I bet you Motorola waited until the absolute last second before Apple switched away from 3G and other technologies related to these old patents, a point where they ceasing sale would do nothing, and fining them would be similar to them tickling Apple's wrist.

Reaction score
Umm, you do realize that Motorola sued Apple first when this dispute first started, right?? As a company, Motorola has sued WAY more companies over patents that they never even created/invented, but bought out to secure. And you blame Apple? Your response is more of a troll's response than that of a person viewing this without any sort of bias, as you claim.

Do you even know how many years Motorola sat on their patent before suing Apple, even though their claim is that they used their patents long before the iphone and iPad? I'll give you a hint, Apple's bank was no where near as large!

I bet you Motorola waited until the absolute last second before Apple switched away from 3G and other technologies related to these old patents, a point where they ceasing sale would do nothing, and fining them would be similar to them tickling Apple's wrist.

ok. motorola sued apple first, and won. apple is suing every other company in the business over rediculous crap. like the shape of a tablet? their criteria for dropping the suit was samsungs screen cannot be flat or curved. thats like ford suing every other car manufacturer and stating you cannot build a car with 4 wheels. and the remaining wheels cannot touch the ground. you obviously don't see the rediculous claims apple are putting out to the others. meanwhile most every feature in ios5 they claim as revolutionary, was in other devices all ready. As i said, i think steve WAS APPLE. Only people left now are lawyers and bean counter. too bad too. they were on a good roll with
good products until steve left control, now they sue everyone and update existing products to just compete in the market. shame. like everyone else i was super excited for the release of the ip5, only to go nah. i will get 95% of the 4s in the ios update. i know most of the apple followers felt gyped too. wow, a little faster processor and a 8mp camera. no 4g, lte, new style, top spec processor, more storage, nothing. pretty well a ip4 with an ios update and siri. def not what i was expecting. I was waiting to get the iphone5, but i kept my ip4 instead. As i said before if apple under control of tim cook would innovate instead of litigate, we would be much better off as consumers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Conversation over. You clearly know nothing accurate but bias.

Reaction score
Im bias? ha ha ha!....I use friggin mac/apple products...Love them...just stating facts...if anyone is bias is 90 percent of the apple lovers in the world.

thats who is bias!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 4s has a totally redesigned antenna system that in tests blows away the iPhone 4. All the iPhone 4's Antenna issues are GONE with the 4s. To me that is worth it alone.

Steve Jobs did not walk away from Apple, he died. Not his fault. He would have never walked away. You can not control death and life. Not even Jobs could do that one! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im bias? ha ha ha!....I use friggin mac/apple products...Love them...just stating facts...if anyone is bias is 90 percent of the apple lovers in the world.

thats who is bias!

OK, let's tone it down. This is beginning to get out of hand. Rumors and Reports is not a forum for flames and arguments. Take it to private mail if you wish to continue your "discussion".

Thanks.

Reaction score
The 4s has a totally redesigned antenna system that in tests blows away the iPhone 4. All the iPhone 4's Antenna issues are GONE with the 4s. To me that is worth it alone.

Steve Jobs did not walk away from Apple, he died. Not his fault. He would have never walked away. You can not control death and life. Not even Jobs could do that one! :D

i agree. im not saying that steve walked away. he was brilliant. the devices he designed enrich the life of my 5 yo son who has autism in ways we would never imagine. im saying after he finally had to leave tje people in control are no where close to the revolutionary steve was. so i yhink they are vsry scared of apples future so they are trying to slow down the competition in the court room.

i forgot about the antenna. yes that is a needed update. however it should have been implemented way back in antennagate. back to the topic on hand, i still believe apple should calm it down on the suits that have no grounds. as for things getting heated. i had to respond because i am far from biased. unlike alot of people who use apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
i agree. im not saying that steve walked away. he was brilliant. the devices he designed enrich the life of my 5 yo son who has autism in ways we would never imagine. im saying after he finally had to leave tje people in control are no where close to the revolutionary steve was. so i yhink they are vsry scared of apples future so they are trying to slow down the competition in the court room.

i forgot about the antenna. yes that is a needed update. however it should have been implemented way back in antennagate. back to the topic on hand, i still believe apple should calm it down on the suits that have no grounds. as for things getting heated. i had to respond because i am far from biased. unlike alot of people who use apple products.

You have shown very little understanding for how a business operates for being a so-called business owner who loves competition ("In my own business I...").

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And as a shareholder I prefer Apple's way of doing business period.

It is not a sin to turn a healthy profit even if some do get terribly jealous.

Reaction score
You have shown very little understanding for how a business operates for being a so-called business owner who loves competition ("In my own business I...").

well, I guess myself being in business for 12 years and my father being in business for 40 plus, 30 of which owning a very successful constuction company, would no nothing about it. nope not one thing. As I said earlier I find it MORNIC that apple are going around sueing other companies saying your tablet cannot have four sides and a flat top...***? that is like 5th grade buisness as far as Im concerned. Last time I saw that was in the sand box at school. I find it idiotic that apple would even waste their time and money with this stupid suits that have NO MERIT! Mr jobs would not be bothered with that and just laugh. the new ownership/management are scared of the competition right now and they are trying to stop it so they can come up with some new ideas. Something apple is going to run out of very soon by the looks of it. If I was a shareholder of apple I would be thrilled if they were spending all the money on frivolous lawsuits that are a waste of time instead of creating new and exciting products.

I guess all of us will be going around with the iphone 4gserdsetewsdgbtedsr. at the end of the day, we may have a new color or maybe even (we hope) a 9 mp camera....seems thats all they are interested in. the Ipad 3 will come out with maybe 128gb of storage, and probably a usb port but I doubt it because then you could use another storage device and they dont want that. Im sure it will be the same size and shape as the ipad/ipad2 and have the same screen as well...since all of us are just crying out for a retina display on one. But nah, apple has bigger fish to fry like preventing another company putting out a bigger tablet thats retangle and has a flat screen!

Well, Apple had a good run, and I hope im wrong with the product predictions, however, I have seen it before and its coming....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think this has gone far enough. You were warned once before. This thread is now closed. Also, you obviously did not read our guidelines about using masked language or profanity.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I guess I'm going to have to agree with Steve to some extent here. Although Apple should have every right to defend its patents, just as Motorola does, I find it distasteful that their suits seek product restrictions (i.e. keeping competition out of the market). That's a little abusive in my opinion. Royalties? Damages? Sure. But the legal system should not be used to suppress innovation and stifle competition.

Although I do wish Steve would tone it down a bit, I can't say that I disagree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.