Will Ethernet help my situation?

Reaction score
I live in rural UK,5 kilometres(about as far as you can get) from my phone exchange,no Cables hereabouts.I'm with rubbish UK ISP Tiscali(no Mac support).My ADSL connection thru a Speedtouch 330 modem is dreadful.I connect for maybe half an hour,then lose the connection,wait for hours,finally get another signal,connect for 5 minutes,etc etc.Better during the daytime,but not much.The other thing about the Modem is that every now and then it all starts flashing,the screen/mouse/all locks up and I have to restart from the tower.It's driving me insane and Tiscali are no help whatsoever.My top speed is 512k (faster seems impossible)-which is fine,when it works....I got better connection with dial-up but the internal got zapped by lightning.
So I'm thinking about moving to a better ISP with Mac support,and maybe going to Ethernet.But I don't have a whole load of money for a router.Can someone run down the pros and cons? Particularly whether I'm more likely to stay connected for longer....in layman's terms please,thanks!
I've got a G4 AGP graphics running OSX10.3.9.
And any recommendations for UK ISPs (not Telewest etc,I can't get cable)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.