Headphone Jack Stuck in port with superglue

Reaction score
Before you tell me to use the search function, I did and my certain case is different.

Somehow the tip of a headphone jack got stuck in the port, so I read here to use superglue and the rest of the headphone jack to get it out...for some reason, it didn't work and now I have superglue in my headphone port!

What can I do? I assume I'm totally screwed.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Err, the superglue idea was not a good one! Yes, basicaly you have made your headphone jack useless, and without stripping the Mac and replacing it, you are going to be without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You have to take the Mac apart now and get a new jack. Not a good idea to use super glue.

OP
K
Reaction score
I thought there was no way to just get to the jack...I was sure you have to replace the whole logic board.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought there was no way to just get to the jack...I was sure you have to replace the whole logic board.

You are correct. The jack is surface mounted to the logic board. Apple will not replace the jack without replacing the entire logic board.

OP
K
Reaction score
So how much would it cost me to fix? I have AppleCare, if it matters (probably doesn't).

Having a laptop with no sound is a pain in the butt. Is there any other way I could get sound on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Second hand logic board about $250 plus another $150 or so fitting. No other way alas.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, fellas.

Unfortunately, I can't afford that. Is it possible to use some sort of USB audio interface? Like plug something into my USB port that'll let me use my headphones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can get headphones that work via USB, but I am not sure how compatible with Mac they are. Have a google around for some more info on something like these:

Numark PHX-USB - PHX Pro DJ Headphones with USB Option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I use a USB sound card on my MBP. Works great. The model I have is several years old, but I believe this is the current version of it.

Amazon.com: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095: Electronics

When I got it, the software was windows only, and it made no reference to OS X compatibility. However, I plugged it in and it "just worked". I should mention that I only use 2 channel speakers, so I have never checked to see if the 5 channel surround works without the PC software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.