Permissions ?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and I have moved my files the old computer to the new. I have located the new folder and files in the new HD but I cannot open them to move them as it says that I need permission. Please offer direction on how to get permission to open the files that have been transferred.

On another note, is there any easy way to push the files to the locations they need to go to so as to be able to see them as they appeared on the old machine?

I have attached a screen shot to show the message I'm receiving.

Screen Shot 2011-12-09 at 7.29.18 PM.png

C

chas_m

a. Smack yourself for not using Migration Assistant to move your files, this is EXACTLY the problem using MA avoids.

b. Frankly, it would be faster and easier for you to start over again and this time do things properly than try to a) fix permissions and b) move files for each of the thousands of files you likely have.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, i'm just coming out of the daze from the good smack I just gave myself. Any chance you could direct me on how to start over? Also, I may be wrong but I thought that I did transfer my files using MA and my Time Capsule, any thoughts? And please, I don't want to hit myself again, I'm still dizzy from the first time.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not sure what happened to screw up the permissions, but if you Get Info on a File or Folder you will see the permissions in the bottom of the Get Info window. Click to enable changes and give yourself full permissions (assuming you are logged in with Admin rights).

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Razormac, I gave this a try and while I was able to get the lock unlocked it did not change the status of the files. Still no access. Any follow up thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Once you've unlocked the lock, you have to check the relevant permissions box, it won't do it automatically.

OP
F
Reaction score
Mission Accomplished, thanks for the help, that was easier than I thought, I just wish now that I hadn't cracked myself in the head, likely would have been even easier. Again, thanks to all for your help, this forum is awesome even though my head still hurts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.