MBP- Heating up!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP 2.3Ghz Intel dual core i5
So I have the early 2011 MBP 13 inch, and it is getting super hot!! I noticed that whenever I hooked it up to my TV through HDMI, it started to get really hot. I didn't think much about it, but then I noticed it would get hot whenever I am charging it for a while. Also, I have had it off the charger for over an hours and it still is hot????

By hot, I mean, the bottom of the MBP gets very heated. It is not hot on the keys, but on the bottom about the size of my hand. It is towards the back. The front (on the bottom) and sides (on the bottom) are still cool to the touch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are the temperatures? Download the free iStat Pro widget and post the temperature of your CPU and fan speed.

The fact that the machine is getting hot on the bottom may be entirely normal as all MacBook and MacBook Pro machines heat up when they're working hard.

A notebook stand can help to cool the machine and also provides some protection against nasty spills. You might want to invest in one to use while the machine is at home.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CPU is 74 degrees and fan speed is 2100 rpms.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both normal. Think about getting a stand anyway.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will definitely think about the stand. What is the normal range for temperatures? There is also risk of getting too cold I imagine? Lastly, the battery health on the i stat pro, what would normal range be on this? My health is 98%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My recent MacBook Pro (see left for details) ran at a comfortable temperature until it was switched off for 2 weeks while I was on holiday. Afterwards the base was scorching. I read lots of threads here on this topic, made sure there was an airflow but nothing made any difference until I switched it off then back on again....no more overheating. And I used to sigh when the work Helpdesk started every help answer with asking if I'd done this!

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a cat?

Sounds like a weird question, I know. But I do and I was having a similar problem with the fans running non-stop. Opened up the unit to find the fans caked with lint and cat hair. I really embarrassing amount. Cleaned everything up and it's running normal now. It's been about two months.

don't judge me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Don't think the cat was my problem but couldn't resist posting this pic

Reaction score
Any recommended stands with fans?

I want to get a Mac stand with a fan. Any recommendations from people who have one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
My MBP gets to 200 F when rendering videos in FCP! :O scary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.