PowerPC Word files on OS X (how to read?)

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Lion. Now I get the message that it no longer supports PowerPC Word files. So, I can't read my Word files. Some of them are important. Is there a program or something I can use to extract them in a readable format on Lion? Thanks for any info.:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PowerPC Word files??? Which version of MS Office were the files created with? You certainly can't install an older copy of Word in Lion because of the PPC code, but the documents should not matter. Word X and Word 2004 will not run in Lion but I would think the documents *.doc files should be OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
He's probably got word 2004 installed and cannot run Word after an upgrade

You can still open word files using text edit, but a better more word like option would be Libre Office a free office suit that can open and edit Office docs

LibreOffice Productivity Suite Download » LibreOffice

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He's probably got word 2004 installed and cannot run Word after an upgrade

Yeah, I thought that could be the reason but it was the way he worded his question. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I often have to interpret the difference between what my bosses say and what they actually mean, I'm used to it by now

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you do have an older version of Office (pre-2008) and don't want to purchase a newer version, you can always try LibreOffice. It's free and compatible with Word documents (you might notice small issues though so take a look).

OP
F
Reaction score
Reading older Word files

Thanks for the replies. While fooling around I right clicked and got a window giving me the option to open the files with pages. So, I bought the Pages app. Now I can open and read the files without any further trouble. My computer must be thinking I'm a real dummy. There are times I would agree.:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the replies. While fooling around I right clicked and got a window giving me the option to open the files with pages. So, I bought the Pages app. Now I can open and read the files without any further trouble. My computer must be thinking I'm a real dummy. There are times I would agree.:)

I think we all feel that way sometimes. ;)

About ourselves I mean . . .

C

chas_m

Glad you found Pages, which I think is an awesome program, but TextEdit (included on your computer) would have been able to open the files as well (might not have preserved formatting as well as Pages does, however).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.