Screen flicker when playing on full screen

Reaction score
Hello,

Have this problem as title says; the screen "flickers" when playing any game at full screen using native resolution (1920 x 1080).

The flickering looks like that refresh rate is wrong. Image looks just little stretched (i think so) and straight lines like menu bars edges are flickering a little. Overally, the game seems to run little slower, because this and image quality seems to be little flurry in some games.

For example, when I try to play hearts of iron 3 at native resolution, everything goes slowly and any possible thing is flickering all the time.

Same when tried Rome:total war, but not so brutally.

I am running mac mini mid 2011 with and Radeon HD 6630M 256MB

Monitor is BenQ G2420HD 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Anyone knows how to resolve this issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you attaching the BenQ to the Mini? VGA, DVI, HDMI? The best bandwidth and refresh will always be obtained when the video signal is digital rather than analog. So if you're by chance using a VGA hookup to the BenQ that could be the reason.

Also, when you open System Preferences, Displays, what resolution and refresh is being shown for the BenQ?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi

Monitor is attached via HDMI-DVI cable with the mac´s own adapter what makes the mac end to the hdmi also. So the input (or is it output) is digital.

When looking system preferences, I see that it recognizes my monitor correctly, and 1080p is selected. Refresh rate is set to 60 HZ (NTSC), which is native Hz, I think. Also tried PAL Hz (50) but with no better results.

Actually, there is no problems when using desktop, everything is crystal clear. Only problem is with those games, being little blurry and/or flickering at native 1080p resolution.

Is there no ati (or generally graphic card) preferences in os x lion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, what I think you're seeing is a diminished frame rate (shows up as a type of flicker or bluriness) when playing certain games which is entirely normal considering the GPU in the Mini. If the resolution and refresh are correct and if everything else other than the games are normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Try playing at a reduced frame rate (if the game allows it) and see if things are better that way. I know some games just plain look and play terrible at slow frame rates, but there's not much you can do about it.

Reaction score
OK, what I think you're seeing is a diminished frame rate (shows up as a type of flicker or bluriness) when playing certain games which is entirely normal considering the GPU in the Mini. If the resolution and refresh are correct and if everything else other than the games are normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Try playing at a reduced frame rate (if the game allows it) and see if things are better that way. I know some games just plain look and play terrible at slow frame rates, but there's not much you can do about it.

What if there's no flicker while in game, but a flicker outside of a game?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.