Lion installation on a new ssd, on a Late MBP 2011

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm getting my new ssd sooner or later, properly on monday, therefor I'm preparing for it now!

as i understand there is a "hidden" built-in Recovery drive that will allow you to switch hard drives and then do a clean Lion install on the new hard drive through downloading in the recovery menu.

but since i have not yet gotten a 100% YES thats true, thats the way you do it on macbook late 2011 then i have to prepare in other ways aswel, this being getting a USB booted (will be removing CD/DVD drive and replace with a optibay for the old hdd, and use it for storage.)

So I'm trying to make this USB-Booter but i can't, I've been trying everything now and I've finally reached a dead end! I cannot see Lion OSX in the Purchased Tap in appstore, so i can't do the option key+click to "re-download" lion for the usb... I've tried everything now, looked anywhere to redownload it, but its nowhere.. had the idea mac/apple was easy and simple, but only had troubles since i switched from windows, i can't even make a hdd shortcut on my desktop.. anyways, can anyone please help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you purchased Lion from the App Store, go back in and hold down the Option key and hit Purchases. Lion will come up and click on the icon to download. You do mention a late 2011 MacBook - did it come with Lion or did you actually purchase from the App Store?

If it came with Lion installed, boot and hold down the Option key to get access to the Recovery drive.

Another option if to tale it along to the Mac store and ask to have Lion installed on the drive, or purchase a USB thumb drive from Apple with Lion installed.

OP
Z
Reaction score
If you purchased Lion from the App Store, go back in and hold down the Option key and hit Purchases. Lion will come up and click on the icon to download. You do mention a late 2011 MacBook - did it come with Lion or did you actually purchase from the App Store?

If it came with Lion installed, boot and hold down the Option key to get access to the Recovery drive.

Another option if to tale it along to the Mac store and ask to have Lion installed on the drive, or purchase a USB thumb drive from Apple with Lion installed.

Its a Late 2011 Macbook Pro 17" so yes it came with Lion installed, therefor i does not show lion in purchased, so as i said i can't do the option key + clicking purchase, to re-download it !

Ye thats exactly what i will do, at least thats my plan, but no one have been able to answer me definitely yet, that its possible to hit Command+r(or hold down option and choose recovery) on startup to get into recovery and install lion on a new disc. As far as i know, and have learned by myself so far, it is possible and that i need a Network connection and that it will then download lion when i install it on ssd in the recovery interface, but i want people to keep in mind, i will not have the "old" hdd in when doing this, therefor I'm still a bit concerned that this so called recovery disc, is stationed on my current hdd, the hdd that followed my mac! so I'm kinda lost here ! and would love if just one person would have a finishing answer of yes or no, i find it amazing how mac seems so "hidden" about everything, even people who had macs for years can't answer this question... :S if this was windows(sorry) but then it would be so easy and straight forward, and anyone with a windows installation would pretty much be able to give a straight answer... sorry to put it like that, but it REALLY annoys me!

your last option is to me horrible, why would i Pay for something i already bought, what kind of business force its customers to do that???!! I don't have the option of a apple/mac store were i live, i bought it through their website.

Thanks for putting in your time to help mate, i appreciate that some at least try !! thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Option gets you into Recovery.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Option gets you into Recovery.

Ye i know, option gets me an option interface were i can choose what partition i want to start from, for example to start windows bootcamp. Command+r takes me directly into recovery.

Not to be offensive, but i have not set any question about this, i find it kinda offending that you taking me for being this dumb.

download the recovery app from apple then follow the instructions, makes a bootable usb

Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery

Oh my god, thanks soooo much migzy, this is EXACTLY the thing I've been searching for! THANK YOU!

EDIT:lol I'm pretty sure i have looked at this page, this is the page that brought up my questions, but gonna believe it now, even though I have not found a person yet, who actually used this so called new internet recovery, but as they say/write "Built right into OS X Lion, Lion Recovery lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without the need for a physical install disc." that line is the reason I've been searching for someone who have done it.

Atleast i know now that i can make a backup, but pretty sure my macbook have this built in reinstall lion recovery feature! hopefully, well els my usb will have it now ;) thanks again!

EDIT2: Aight, so checked it again, when i click to make a usb recovery, it can't find the article :> but ill just believe that my mac got the built in recovery as they state all new macs got! mine is a Macbook Pro 17" Late 2011, so it should have this!

Reaction score
all the late 2011 macbook pros have recovery built in,i was looking at doing the same thing let us know how it goes :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
all the late 2011 macbook pros have recovery built in,i was looking at doing the same thing let us know how it goes :)

Sure thing, will do :) should have all the stuff on monday, will come by here and do a post as soon as I'm back up and running again with both ssd and hdd in optibay :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Worked like a charm. i got the old hdd out and put in the ssd.

Hold down Command+R choose a Net -connection and wupti I had 4 options, 2 of them was Install lion and Disc option thingi, so i went into the disc thing, found the new ssd and made a mac partion on it. back out and clicked install lion, and it did everything, very fast a smooth, around 20mins(have very fast net) and it was back up and running.

The cheap optibay i got needed a little modifieing at one of the screw holes to fit. it states that the optibay i bought dont work for mbp 2011 models, but i got a optibay, and a 750gb storage drive in it right now in a closed unibody. And it works perfect!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.