MP3 conversion

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to convert mp3's into useable ringtones that I can use on my Motorola Razr phone - any help would be gratefully received - thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
they can take mp3's cant they? i know my V600 did

OP
E
Reaction score
inflexion said:
they can take mp3's cant they? i know my V600 did
yes, they can take them - it's just I don't know how to convert MP3'sinto files that the phone will accept?

S

sursuciofla

Probably need to convert a really low bitrate. I know you can do this in iTunes from a disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The phone can use MP3s. You don't really need to convert it to anything, just put them on your phone.

L

liberal123

Yeah what schweb said.

My D500 takes MP3's just normally via bluetooth and then just set them to the ring tone :)

Job Done.

S

stevedavis

I just purchased a RAZR V3c with Telus (the provider). Getting the mp3 files onto the phone via Bluetooth is no problem. I believe the problem that efrazer390 had was that they were unable to be used as ringtones. I'm having the same problem, and have been told by Telus that they (and other providers) have "locked out" that feature, implying that the only way to get new ringtones was to purchase them through their site. There are a couple of programs that some Windows users are using to change/delete files from their phone's directories. This seems to work for some people, yet not for others. Don't know of any programs for Mac that would help out our situation, though.

Reaction score
....This is a low tech method my son uses:

If the Razr has an inbuilt recorder, record and hold it in front of your stereo/Mac speakers as the CD/mp3 is playing.

Not too close or too loud....my son succeeded in creating a "Team America" ringtone, and plenty others that sounded pretty good.

S

sursuciofla

Does anyone know of an easy way for me to edit my mp3s to play them as ringtones on my phone. I need like a good tutorial. I just want to be able to cut out a portion and save it as mp3. I have tried Audacity, Garageband, and QT Pro but no success.

The tunes are for my Samsung D807. For ringtones they can't be more than 26 seconds. I just want to cut easy and save but all these programs seem to make it difficult.

Reaction score
GarageBand should do it....just import the MP3 and use the wave editor below to edit out the parts you dont want then export it into iTunes.

I'm here for a while I can walk you through it...

S

sursuciofla

Cool. I have 2.0.2 version of GB. I cut a clip to about 25 seconds but then when I sent it to iTunes it was 40 seconds. On top of that in .aif

I looked for export options but I couldn't find any.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Cool. I have 2.0.2 version of GB. I cut a clip to about 25 seconds but then when I sent it to iTunes it was 40 seconds. On top of that in .aif

I looked for export options but I couldn't find any.

You might have to play around with the clip to get the right amount sent to iTunes.

Before importing it to iTunes go to iTunes Prefs>Advanced then select the importing tab and choose to import songs as: Mp3.

I'll try to achieve the 26sec mp3 myself....

S

sursuciofla

I have my preferences to mp3 but that's only for cd import. I guess I could just burn it on an RW and then re-import but still leaves me with the 40 sec dilemma.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
I have my preferences to mp3 but that's only for cd import. I guess I could just burn it on an RW and then re-import but still leaves me with the 40 sec dilemma.

You can control click on the track in iTunes and select Convert Selection to Mp3 if it's set to import as AAC.

The import option covers any song which is imported, either from HD or Disc.

S

sursuciofla

Ah, thanks...learn something new everyday. You would think I just started using these programs yesterday. :black:

Any ideas on the 40 sec thing. Kind of sucks if I can't fix that b/c then I will have no clue where to cut. It is weird how a 25 sec clip is increased in time by 60% even though it is identical in what I cut.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Ah, thanks...learn something new everyday. You would think I just started using these programs yesterday. :black:

Any ideas on the 40 sec thing. Kind of sucks if I can't fix that b/c then I will have no clue where to cut. It is weird how a 25 sec clip is increased in time by 60% even though it is identical in what I cut.

Ok, first you just drag and drop the MP3 (must be mp3) onto new garageband project.

Make sure the track is plumb up against the very beginning of the timeline.

Click on the Scissor icon on the panel below the track window.

let me know when you're at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I clip mine in audacity. Send them too iTunes, then hi-light them and convert them to mp3 in itunes from the "advanced" menu at the top.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.