MacBook Pro 4,1 OEM HDD swap to Seagate 640GB HDD

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

Just Joined Up - First time post - long time lurker.

I have a MacBook Pro 4,1 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo and I would like to swap out the failing stock Fujitsu 200GB OEM Apple drive for a new one.

The drive I would like to install is a Seagate 640GB drive that is out of a Seagate portable drive case. Is this possible? The portable drive is a Seagate GoFlex 640GB portable drive model STAA640600

How would you suggest I do the data transfer? I am fairly new to OS X Lion.

I am going to upgrade to a 250GB+ SSD when my wallet allows, but for now this is all I can afford to do. BTW: I paid $54.00 at WallyWorld for this drive! what a deal!

Thanks for your help. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to do is determine if the Seagate GoFlex can be used in your MBP. I believe the GoFlex drive is SATA so that's OK. However, you need to check the dimensions. The drive must be 2.5" wide and no more than 9.5 MM thick in order to properly fit in your machine.

OP
N
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is determine if the Seagate GoFlex can be used in your MBP. I believe the GoFlex drive is SATA so that's OK. However, you need to check the dimensions. The drive must be 2.5" wide and no more than 9.5 MM thick in order to properly fit in your machine.

Looks like it won't fit :(

Device Type Hard drive - internal
Width 2.8 in
Depth 4 in
Height 0.4 in
Weight 3.5 oz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like the dimensions are close. The thickness is OK but the width is off somewhat. Try it out but don't force it if it won't match up with the SATA connector.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.