Want to upgrade OSX10.4 to snow leopard but disk keeps ejecting!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram
Hey guys,
As stated in the title I'm not able to install snow leopard on my sister's old iMac. The disk keeps getting ejected.

It has all the specs necessary and it's running on an intel processor so there should be no trouble right? The other thing is that the disk only got recognised once :Shouting: Double clicking the installer gave an error message that it requires at lease 10.5 (leopard) to install..reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllyy hope I don't have to go get leopard too :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Are you using a white Snow Leopard retail DVD?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Double clicking the installer gave an error message that it requires at lease 10.5 (leopard) to install..reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllyy hope I don't have to go get leopard too :Angry-Tongue:

This sounds like a Snow Leopard "Drop-In Disk". This is a Snow Leopard disk that was "dropped" into the box of a new Mac computer at the time Snow Leopard was first released...so that a person buying the new computer (with OS 10.5 already installed on it)...could upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) for free.

This Snow Leopard "Drop-In" disk (as you found out) requires that OS 10.5 be installed on the computer first. Luckily there is a less expensive method than purchasing Leopard ($80-$100) to install Snow Leopard on your sister's computer...and that's to purchase a Snow Leopard install disk for $29:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
puncheonrum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram
This sounds like a Snow Leopard "Drop-In Disk". This is a Snow Leopard disk that was "dropped" into the box of a new Mac computer at the time Snow Leopard was first released...so that a person buying the new computer (with OS 10.5 already installed on it)...could upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) for free.

This Snow Leopard "Drop-In" disk (as you found out) requires that OS 10.5 be installed on the computer first. Luckily there is a less expensive method than purchasing Leopard ($80-$100) to install Snow Leopard on your sister's computer...and that's to purchase a Snow Leopard install disk for $29:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,:)

- Nick
Well if it was a "drop in disk" I'd be even more mad because it was supposed to be a new disk for a new install that I bought off of amazon.com. As Apple is extra unfriendly to non US residents (no shipment of non- US locations Po boxes etc) Amazon.com was my only hope!!

I guess I should probably buy an old leopard disk off of e-bay or something? :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Sounds like you bought (or intended to) a retail white S.L. DVD. What does it say on the DVD?
Maybe it's just a bad DVD drive.
You can use another Mac as the DVD drive by using Target firewire mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fingers crossed it is not an upgrade disc coz then you would need Leopard.

OP
puncheonrum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram
Anyone knows where I can get a good used copy (not pirated or hacked) of Leopard? I think this is my only hope now? I'm talking less than $100.00 US

I live in Trinidad and Apple does not sell to P.O. Boxes!!! Amazon is charging ridiculous prices for an outdated system that I'll never use anyway. Don't trust e-Bay

The iMac doesn't even start in disk mode :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I'm just guessing here - because you haven't told us - that your sister's computer is a PowerPC?
Leopard would be the last OS X version that would work on a PowerPC.

Otherwise, there's NO GOOD Reason to get Leopard, when Snow Leopard is only $29 for the retail version.

If the computer won't startup from a White retail Snow Leopard disk, then it's likely that the DVD drive isn't working.

OP
puncheonrum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram
I'm just guessing here - because you haven't told us - that your sister's computer is a PowerPC?
Leopard would be the last OS X version that would work on a PowerPC.

Otherwise, there's NO GOOD Reason to get Leopard, when Snow Leopard is only $29 for the retail version.

If the computer won't startup from a White retail Snow Leopard disk, then it's likely that the DVD drive isn't working.

No it's an Intel powered mac. Enough RAM. Running Tiger 10.4.11.

I bought the $29 retail version (This is the exact product I bought off amazon.com) but it keeps ejecting. The first error message I got before was that it needs Leopard (10.5) Now when you stick the disk in it loads a bit and ejects straight out.

Can't buy the disk from apple.com because it doesn't sell to international customers or P.O. Boxes.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
No it's an Intel powered mac. Enough RAM. Running Tiger 10.4.11.

I bought the $29 retail version (This is the exact product I bought off amazon.com) but it keeps ejecting. The first error message I got before was that it needs Leopard (10.5) Now when you stick the disk in it loads a bit and ejects straight out.

Can't buy the disk from apple.com because it doesn't sell to international customers or P.O. Boxes.

I would have to go with either bad DvD or bad DvD drive in your sister's computer. The retail OS Disk of Snow Leopard is the full OS and does not require any OS of any type to be installed prior to installing Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 1.83 C2D, 2GB, 80GB, 10.6
I installed Snow Leopard on my New to me mac that didn't come with a OS, And i didn't have to install Leopard 10.5 before i put the CD in and Pressed the Eject, Put the CD in and Restarted the Computer, Pressed C as i heard the Bong haha. and went from there with no hitches i got my Snow leopard from the Apple Store.

All i needed was the Apple 10.6 Snow leopard disk..

OP
puncheonrum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram
I would have to go with either bad DvD or bad DvD drive in your sister's computer. The retail OS Disk of Snow Leopard is the full OS and does not require any OS of any type to be installed prior to installing Snow Leopard.
^ Wow thanks I think it's a bad DVD drive :\ I can install snow leopard via fire-wire right? It's not the disk for sure because it works fine on my MBP

can anyone be so nice to just give me a couple steps in this procedure?

Thanks again.
Sorry for being such a PEST

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
^ Wow thanks I think it's a bad DVD drive :\ I can install snow leopard via fire-wire right? It's not the disk for sure because it works fine on my MBP

can anyone be so nice to just give me a couple steps in this procedure?

Thanks again.
Sorry for being such a PEST

Might try a couple of shots with compressed air can in the DvD slot to see if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.