Real Player

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a program that can open real media files like .ram? I dont want to download real player because it only works for 14 day and I need a credit card...Also is there a way to convert .ram files?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There is a free RealPlayer you can get from the Real website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Right. Go to www.real.com and click the "Real Player-Free" button in the upper right corner.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not a fan of Real at all (see: Real Obnoxious) but I'd like to be able to play some .rm and .ram files that I've come across.

This method describes how you can get ffmpegx to convert Real files to .avi or whatnot. Has anyone successfully done this? But the method requires you to download Real Player to get some of its files.

My question is, does a Real Player install completely take over your mac like it does a pc? How easy is it to uninstall the app and all of its bloatware once I no longer have any use for it?

Reaction score
no dude Real player free version only opens files already formatted for it unless you specify you want it to open a dfferent formatted file(Quicktime, or WMA)
Its a fine player to have

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Ok, I'm not a fan of Real at all (see: Real Obnoxious) but I'd like to be able to play some .rm and .ram files that I've come across.

This method describes how you can get ffmpegx to convert Real files to .avi or whatnot. Has anyone successfully done this? But the method requires you to download Real Player to get some of its files.

My question is, does a Real Player install completely take over your mac like it does a pc? How easy is it to uninstall the app and all of its bloatware once I no longer have any use for it?

RealPlayer on the Mac is dramatically less annoying than the Windows version. It doesn't seize control over other file types, doesn't plug the Real subscription service, and can be deleted by (surprise!) dragging the app to the Trash.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
RealPlayer on the Mac is dramatically less annoying than the Windows version. It doesn't seize control over other file types, doesn't plug the Real subscription service, and can be deleted by (surprise!) dragging the app to the Trash.

Ditto that - been using Real Alternative instead of RealPlayer on my XP machine for a couple of years - but installed Real Player on my Mac and havn't had any of those nasty things it does on a windows system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.