Upgrading 2011 macbook in the UK

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone could help me upgrade my new macbook (i'm planning to buy)

I'll be getting the current lower end 15" mbp and will be wanting to upgrade the ram to 8gb and the hard drive to at least 500gb at 7200rpm.
I just want to know what makes/models would be guaranteed to work, I'm in the UK so also needs to be something that is easy and not too expensive to get here.
Sorry if this should be obvious, I'm just wary about getting the stuff and finding that my macbook is picky and doesn't want to work with it.

Thanks!
Jack

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh thanks, I'll take a look.
But I'd really rather find out specifically what parts I need to get, or even just recommendations, and buy from the UK, as the time for it to get here from the US and the Customs fees are... not bodacious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just want to know what makes/models would be guaranteed to work, I'm in the UK so also needs to be something that is easy and not too expensive to get here.

Oh thanks, I'll take a look.
But I'd really rather find out specifically what parts I need to get, or even just recommendations, and buy from the UK, as the time for it to get here from the US and the Customs fees are... not bodacious.

Pretty much anything OWC sells is fine. When it comes to the ram...just look at the specs of the ram at OWC...then either buy at:

- OWC
- Cruical
- or any other supplier you trust in the UK

As far as the hard drive. I don't have any particular preferences...they're all pretty good.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
For HDD I have been really happy with the Seagate brand, They are an OEM supplier for companies like Apple and Lenovo and they make good durable stuff. I upgraded my HDD to a 320gb HDD by them (came from a newer ThinkPad) and it has held up really well. I was at school one day and picked up my backpack with really fast and the zipper popped open and my macbook without a case flew about 7 feet from about 4 feet in the air (about how high the bag was i think) and the HDD along with the rest of the computer were fine. As for RAM I use G Skill but I don't really have any preference for RAM brands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.