Best Keyboard

Reaction score
I got a 2011 Mac Mini Server 3 months ago and have been slowly moving things over from my old PC. I have the aluminum Apple keyboard with numeric keypad, and have given it my best shot at liking it. But it is quite frankly awful for me. I miss the slight dishing on the tops of the keys that regular keyboards have (helps me keep centered) as well as being able to feel the edges of some keys, so I can hit them without looking. I tried the Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard 3.0, but it was way too noisy. Other than that, I liked it, although black would be more practical. I see there is a Macally USB Slim Keyboard (ICEKEYB) available, but it seems to have flat tops on the keys and I am unsure about how loud it is. It does not have too be silent, just medium to quiet. Any other suggestions? I don't want to use a Windows keyboard, it is annoying identifying it every boot up and I am not sure how you manage without the special mac key.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can see you're not an IBM guy.... ;) I love the Matias keyboard because it does remind me of the old IBM click and clack keyboards that weighed a ton. :) The problem I have with the Matias is that it's overpriced.

Finding the right keyboard is of course a matter of choice - having said that, I agree with trying the Macally model. MacMall has them at a very good price.

OP
D
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I loved those IBM keyboards. But that was when computers were a lot noisier. Now I work from home, where it is quiet. In fact, one of the attractions of the Mini is how quiet it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Thanks for the posts. I just switched from a PC to a New iMac and although the keyboard is very slick looking and neat it is not for me. The funny thing is now I have two of them. I bought one for my iPad as well. I want an old school Commodore 64 clunker that makes so much noise that my neighbors will call the police.

I think the link to Macmall was exactly what I was looking for
Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I got the Macally ICEKEY in black and it is much closer to what my fingers and ears like. Although the height of the keys on the Matias Tactile Pro is much better than the ICEKEY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it have the clunkyness and clicks we old PC users are used too?

If so this may be my new keyboard.

OP
D
Reaction score
No Macally ICEKEY is not clunky and the clicks are very soft. It could have a bit less force to press a key.

The Matias Tactile Pro has the old IBM PC keyboard kind of feel and sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I like lighted keyboards and although it's not Mac specific I i use a Logitech wired and back-lit board...and a bluetooth Mac board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the recommendation on the Matias Tactile Pro but its close to 150 dollars and is not wireless. If it was wireless I would find one on ebay.

Any new wireless keyboard clunkers that are compatible with the Imac?
The Logitech ones look nice I did not realize you could use those with Imacs. I will check those out at Bestbuy.

Reaction score
Apple builds the highest quality products and that has not changed with their keyboard dock.Many people will also complain the lack of a physical mouse but again, the iPad is designed to be touch screen. You will have to use the screen to perform a lot of the iPad functions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply, for me the keyboard will be for the IMac. I hardly use my keyboard for my IPad now. when I get my new wireless keyboard I will have two extra apple keyboards as backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I can see you're not an IBM guy.... ;) I love the Matias keyboard because it does remind me of the old IBM click and clack keyboards that weighed a ton. :) The problem I have with the Matias is that it's overpriced.

I have the Matias, and I love the way it feels and sounds. I refuse to use the current flat-key Apple model, and they keys are always binding up on my old clear-plastic, fixed-angle Apple keyboard. The only thing I don't like about the Tactile Pro is the size; I wish the keys were bigger. It's actually a little smaller than the clear-plastic Apple.

I don't think it's overpriced at all. The original Apple Extended Keyboard II mechanical-switch keyboard cost $200, and that was back when $200 could buy you a new Dusenberg, a pocketwatch, and a fine silk top hat, with change left over for lunch at the Automat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will this Apple Wireless Keyboard Model Number A1016 work with new Imacs? A guy has a brand new one still in the box and offered it to me for $35.00.
He said it was very old school and I googled it and it looks like from the 80's so I am in love with it.
If this will work I will buy it tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would this keyboard also have the media keys such as eject? thanks for your help on this.
This would be for the A1016 keyboard.

Reaction score
I don't want to use a Windows keyboard, it is annoying identifying it every boot up and I am not sure how you manage without the special mac key.

If your Mac is asking you to identify a keyboard at every boot, then something is wrong. I use a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard (probably the best thing MS ever made), and it asked me once to identify and never again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
One word: Das

Since others have mentioned.... I have a basic Matias keyboard, and the USB dock on it is balky. Other than that, it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
Im glad someone else asked this as well :) I have asked about foreign language keyboards in my thread about printers. But it can't hurt to ask here too. Does Apple make a keyboard that can toggle between English configuration and Turkish configuration. Though when I posted I had not thought about if Mac could or could not identify hard ware on start up.

:eek:Oh, that inspired another question! (Im a total Mac newb) which I will have to search for:Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im glad someone else asked this as well I have asked about foreign language keyboards in my thread about printers. But it can't hurt to ask here too. Does Apple make a keyboard that can toggle between English configuration and Turkish configuration. Though when I posted I had not thought about if Mac could or could not identify hard ware on start up.

Please don't double post a question. Your question has already been answered in your other thread that was started. Cross posting only causes confusion. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow that DAS looks like a winner! Wonder why they do not make a wireless one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.