Updating to OS X Lion has deleted some files

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i am posting this in the right place, but i really need help, i've recently updated my laptop to os x lion and in doing so it keeps deleting folders such as music folders, application folder and iPhoto folders, is there anyway possible in retrieving these items as there is a lot to replace. I'm not really a whiz at macs and i'm not entirely sure where to start looking. Please if anyone has any know how let me know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The update to Lion from (assuming Snow Leopard) does not remove or delete folders. Also you state "keeps deleting folders".

Perhaps you're being confused over where your folders are because Lion "hides" the user Library folder by default. Let's unhide it and see if that resolves your difficulty. Follow me below.....

1. Open your "Terminal application". Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app.

2. When the Terminal.app opens, copy and paste the following information after the $ sign and then press return.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

3. Log off, and log on again.

Your user Library should now be visible again. Check to see if all your folders are back. Let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes I have updated from snow leopard, the update went fine and I had all my folders, but recently it has been literally deleting them as in when I open iTunes none of my music is there, I open iPhoto and none of my photos are there, and the application folder is no where to be seen.

I followed your instructions and the user library is visible again but i can't find any of my music files, photos of the application folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
When you say " .... the application folder is nowhere to be seen .... " then how did you launch terminal.app ?

Can you restore iPhoto library and iTunes library from a recent backup ?

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Let's see if we can find the photos first...

Open Finder: Click on your User Home Folder. Now, click on "Pictures". You should see a file called "iPhoto Library" which if you double click, will display your photos. Is that file there? (you may get a message that iPhoto needs to update your library, if so, reply yes.)

For the music:

Again from your User Home Folder: Click on "Music". Now click on "iTunes". From there you can navigate to your iTunes library and any backup libraries.

Let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
When i say the application folder, when i open finder and i click on my user home folder, it lists all my folders, usually there is a folder called applications, and it is no longer there.

I've opened finder, and checked both pictures and music folders but nothing there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you please post a screenshot of the finder window, ... a picture speaks a thousand words.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
P
Reaction score
Hopefully the image is attached, but there should be a folder called Applications.
When i open the iTunes folder that's all that shows, and when i open iTunes library it just comes up like i'm new to it and again with iPhoto.

Screen Shot 2011-12-08 at 20.02.21.png

Screen Shot 2011-12-08 at 20.09.16.png

Screen Shot 2011-12-08 at 20.10.16.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Applications folder is there in both screen shots, but you say there's nothing in it when you open it? Also, it does appear that you do not have an iPhoto library or iTunes.

Did you by chance rename your Home folder after upgrading to Lion?

OP
P
Reaction score
Not the one on the side, there was a blue folder like the rest called applications folder, it's where i put the applications i've brought/downloaded and since its been deleted some of the applications aren't responding.

No i didn't do anything, just loaded Lion, everything was still in it's place once it has finished then after switching of my laptop and restarting it again they weren't that's they only way i can describe it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.