Imac i5 usb ports not working

Reaction score
Ive just bought an iMac. Im really sorry now for buying it but since I cant contact Apple Support by phone in my 90 days ( they dont like Afgh. numbers) I ended up here looking for some answers.
Ive installed BootCamp and Windows 7 Home Premium on my iMac.
The problem I have is very strange:
1. If i boot up in Lion everything is fine ( boot time 30 seconds) except for the USB ports 1 and 3 that doesent react anything I would put in them.
2. If I boot up in Windows the computer will hang for about 1 minute with a flickering line in the left up corner, wait for another 4 minutes with just the Microsoft logo on it and finally boot. The USB ports 1 and 3 doesent work in this case either.
3. If I boot up in Windows and during the 5 minutes period when the computer is hanging im gonna plug in an USB keyboard in ports 1 or 3 ( not 2 and 4 - which are actually working) the flickering line will dissapear in less than 1 second and the Windows will boot up in less than 30 seconds.
The ports 1 and 3 doesent work after that.
Does anyone know what should I do to fix that?
TKS in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would take it back since all USB ports are tied together and 2 and 4 are apparently working I would say that is a hardware problem.

Reaction score
Hi Omega,

Have you resolved the usb problem? I've just bought an iMac and I have the same issue :Grimmace: with the usb ports and, special for me, you can call it a bonus, my sd card is not working.

John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Omega,

Have you resolved the usb problem? I've just bought an iMac and I have the same issue :Grimmace: with the usb ports and, special for me, you can call it a bonus, my sd card is not working.

John

If the iMac is new, take it back. Obviously a defect.

Reaction score
I was afraid of that.

In my city there is no AASP so I have to send it via a courier. I have to prepare myself before doing such a thing, because for at least 2 weeks I will be without it.

Thanks for reply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.