ssd in Hard drive bay Macbook

Reaction score
Macbook HDD in optical bay

I was looking to have a Solid state HDD drive installed in my macbook optical bay to run my OS. COuld use the third party cradle optibay. ANyone know of any good third part techs or services that could do this and reconfigure mac to recognize hdd. (Not to tech savy).
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was looking to have a Solid state HDD drive installed in my macbook optical bay to run my OS. I COuld use the third party cradle optibay. ANyone know of any good third party techs or services that could do this and reconfigure mac to recognize hdd. (Not to tech savy).
Thanks

Are you planning on shipping your MacBook somewhere to have this done?...since we have no idea where you are located (you didn't say & neither does your profile) in order to suggest local options.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Merged threads...no need to double post. Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am in Iowa but smaller town. I could ship my mac. I was thinking putting 30-60gb ssd in optical bay to speed up system.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Placing an SSD in the optical bay is not going to speed up the system unless you make it your startup drive. The SSD really should be installed in place of your internal hard drive. The internal hard drive can then be moved to the optical bay. You want to use the SSD as your startup drive and where all your major applications are located.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.