Current iPod Touch - Worth Getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
My daughter wants an iPhone, but I'm not willing to pay the data plan, mostly because she has a brother and sister that would also then want one, so it would be 3 data plans. (As we keep telling all 3 kids, you can have x, or you can go to college! :))

Anyway, now she says she wants an iPod touch, since she'll then have the games and video, and music of course, and I could sign her up for our free wifi coverage provided by the cable company, so even out on the street she'll sometimes be able to get a signal. (spotty at best)

Are these worth it? Just reading the spec I can see that it isn't just an iPhone without the phone, but more like last gen iPhones with a less powerful processor. And how is battery life? I had a 1st Gen touch and it was useless in that regard. If I left wifi on I'd get maybe an hour.

C

chas_m

The current ones are incredibly popular with teens, which should indicate that the battery life is not really an issue anymore. Nobody knows when or if Apple will update the Touch to more closely match the iPhone 4S' capability, my WAG would be next summer (they want Siri to be an iPhone exclusive for a while).

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at the Apple store today, and you wouldn't guess that they sell many of them. Every table is packed with people, except the iPods'. They function well enough, but I'm still hesitant. I guess if that's what she wants she can have one.

I checked the Cablevision coverage map and found that Manhattan just isn't covered. Bronx, Brooklyn, NJ are. There was some talk of cross honoring the coverage, but Time-Warner and Cablevision just don't talk to each other so that's not happening.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I broke down and bought her one, white 32gb. It seems expensive, but she's happy. It is definitely better than the 1st gen that I have. I always thought my 1st Gen touch was a POS. In fact, even Apple thought so and was giving them away with purchases of MacBooks a few years back.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

?? The 1st gen touch that I have was exactly that, free with the purchase of a MacBook. The 1st gen was thought to be an iPhone without the phone, but wasn't really even that, with a slower processor, a weak battery and weak wifi. They didn't sell very well, and Apple was clearing them out as it had already introduced gen 2.

C

chas_m

?? The 1st gen touch that I have was exactly that, free with the purchase of a MacBook.

I wasn't disputing that you got one that way. I was disputing your incorrect assertion that Apple thought they were junk and that's the reason for the promotion.

By that logic, every back-to-school promotion has secretly been to get rid of "junk" iPods or iPod Touches for YEARS now. Indeed, by that logic every new Mac model introduction "proves" that the last model must have been junk.

That's the part that's not true. Was the promotion a clever way to clear out the last of the "soon to be old" model's stock ahead of the new announcement? Yes it was.

Does the fact that Apple replaced the first generation (name of product) with a second generation (name of product) mean that they thought the first generation was junk? No it does not.

The 1st gen was thought to be an iPhone without the phone, but wasn't really even that, with a slower processor, a weak battery and weak wifi. They didn't sell very well, and Apple was clearing them out as it had already introduced gen 2.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
I have a 32gb & love it. More & more places have wifi coverage. You can use Skype to make free calls so it's almost as good as a phone.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
My daughter wants an iPhone, but I'm not willing to pay the data plan, mostly because she has a brother and sister that would also then want one, so it would be 3 data plans. (As we keep telling all 3 kids, you can have x, or you can go to college! :))

Anyway, now she says she wants an iPod touch, since she'll then have the games and video, and music of course, and I could sign her up for our free wifi coverage provided by the cable company, so even out on the street she'll sometimes be able to get a signal. (spotty at best)

Are these worth it? Just reading the spec I can see that it isn't just an iPhone without the phone, but more like last gen iPhones with a less powerful processor. And how is battery life? I had a 1st Gen touch and it was useless in that regard. If I left wifi on I'd get maybe an hour.

If you dont want/cant afford an iPhone, an iPod Touch (4th Gen) is a great bit of kit. Ive used a few at work, and they feel very similar to the iPhone 4's in terms of responsiveness.

Pros:

- Lighter

- Facetime (front and rear camera)

- iMessages (send SMS messages over wifi to other Apple devices)

- Games

- Email

- cheaper, more storage for money

- Retina display, just like the iPhone

- no data plan, so no extra charges will incur if your daughter uses up her allowance

Cons:

- It isnt a phone

- no Siri (at the moment.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
I agree that Apple has made significant strides with the iPod Touch 4 vs the first generation. When only the 8GB and 16GB were available, I received a 16GB for my birthday and thought it was the greatest thing around, shortly after they were released. If I listened to strictly music, and didn't watch videos, kept app usage to a minimum, then my battery life was about 5-6 hours, and between work and school eating up most of the time in the day, it suit my lifestyle just fine. However, then the 2nd generation, the 3rd gen, and then the 4th gen were released as time passed. I realized that my iPod lacked the two cameras, the internal music speaker, the external volume buttons, the microphone, and the retina display. My battery life was also inferior. These things became such a part of the iPod Touch's identity that having a 1st gen felt incredibly lacking, though it did the job excellently as far as playing and storing music went. My parents purchased a 32GB 4th gen for my birthday present last year and because I didn't have my ipod backed up, the apple store associate allowed us to take care of the backing up at home and return with the old ipod and the new receipt to do the trade in program. That was excellent service, generally they only allow you trade it in at the time of transaction.

I've had excellent luck with this iPod touch so far, a year later. No breakage, complete reliability, does everything I wanted and more. 4th generation, until we get something new is definitely the way to go!

Edit: Also, I'd like to add that I really love your user avatar, Rob. It's awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.