Airport Express.. Worth it?

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking about buying an airport express... The internet in my house is a little slow and I was wondering would an airport express would make the internet faster? My other question is that if you set up the airport express, do you have to have the ethernet connected all the time?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Unless your current wireless router is bad or acting up you will not see a speed gain but you will have the ability to run a USB printer from a remote location besides being able to connect the optical out to your Hi-Fi for bit perfect output.
The set up depends on how its setup most use it to join a wireless which does not use an ethernet cable. The instructions and setup can be downloaded at Apple' website so
you can have an idea before you purchase it also has a great help feature.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I doubt it - but there's no conclusive answer without knowing what's causing your connection to be slow to begin with. If you start with isolating that - it'll be easer to suggest a fix. In either case - the Express isn't really a bandaid for slow connections unless you're really struggling with signal strength. By introducing the Express as a network extender - you automatically reduce available bandwidth in the first place. I'd recommend looking more closely at your current router, both brand and placement and see if there's room for improvement there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I doubt it - but there's no conclusive answer without knowing what's causing your connection to be slow to begin with. If you start with isolating that - it'll be easer to suggest a fix. In either case - the Express isn't really a bandaid for slow connections unless you're really struggling with signal strength. By introducing the Express as a network extender - you automatically reduce available bandwidth in the first place. I'd recommend looking more closely at your current router, both brand and placement and see if there's room for improvement there.

Yep, it works real well for me in that it extended my network into my living room (and to devices that are ethernet only, and I really hate pulling cable through roofs). Aside from that, I needed a WAP on a business trip.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yep, it works real well for me in that it extended my network into my living room (and to devices that are ethernet only, and I really hate pulling cable through roofs). Aside from that, I needed a WAP on a business trip.

Yes - it's my WAP as well for trips. Can't beat it and I'm surprised at how many places still don't have wireless deployed throughout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes - it's my WAP as well for trips. Can't beat it and I'm surprised at how many places still don't have wireless deployed throughout.

Does a great job of streaming music over the miniTOS port to my stereo too O:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay so if I bring it on trips for example, do I just plug it into the wall and it will create a wireless connection, or do I need to bring an Ethernet cable with me?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay so if I bring it on trips for example, do I just plug it into the wall and it will create a wireless connection, or do I need to bring an Ethernet cable with me?

You plug the hotel's wired ethernet into the Airport Express then just plug it into the wall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most hotels I've stayed at have a cable in the room, assuming they don't provide wifi. That said in recent years I've been staying at hyatts and it's not been an issue. At least for work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.