What do I need with Apple TV?

Reaction score
Non-techie that I am, after reading a variety of other posts, my head is spinning with confusion. If I hook up ATV to my HDTV, do I need a computer, or can I simply use the music and movies on my iPad2 and mirror them wirelessly to the ATV? And can I mirror the other content on my iPad?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Non-techie that I am, after reading a variety of other posts, my head is spinning with confusion. If I hook up ATV to my HDTV, do I need a computer, or can I simply use the music and movies on my iPad2 and mirror them wirelessly to the ATV? And can I mirror the other content on my iPad?

No need to "mirror" music and movies. The AirPlay icon should be visible on the media control bar if an AirPlay compatible device is detected. Click on it and select Apple TV (or what ever you have named it) and after a slight delay, the music, movie or video should play through your Apple TV.
No computer needed.

Havn't tried display mirroring yet so can't comment on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.