Easiest way to move files to my new Mac from PC

Reaction score
My PC crashed and we have a new iMac (our first). I'm working on restoring my files to a computer at work and will have my "my documents" on an external HD.

I was going to manually copy all my photos, videos, music and documents to the Mac and put them in the right folders etc. But the restore is taking soooo long and I've just really processed I've got almost 60GB of files to move -is there an easy way i.e. software/app that will do this for me.
I know I can take it to the apple store- but that seems like it would take hours to transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You can use an app which is built in to OS X called "Migration Assistant", but I'm afraid it will take just as long, if not even longer than your current process due to the fact that you'd have to connect both computers via an ethernet cable. USB to USB won't work.

As for people at Apple doing it for you, they will not unless you've purchased "One to One" service. It's a great service, but to be honest, the whole transfer part of it would be redundant to someone like you. And they won't move files any faster than you currently are, trust me.

Just stick to your current plan, you're much better off.

Doug

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I guess that's good to know. I guess there are no shortcuts for some things.

6 years ago when I last bought a new computer I recall some issues with restoring my itunes library. Is there anything I need to watch out for on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm not much of an iTunes guy, but as far as I know you shouldn't have any issues if you copy the database file over and make sure to point iTunes to where it is afterward.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.