Whats wrong with my HTML?

Reaction score
On this page

Limited Atonement

My table displays great in FireFox, but for some reason does not display at all in Safari. Its not a big deal, but a minor issue I would love to have resolved. Please note that I wrote this document 3 years ago and was then using the outdated and obsolete Claris Home Page. These days I no longer use that app (cant anyway with my Intel Mac with no classic support) and use more modern HTML apps like Sea Money & Text Wrangler.

Thanks..

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
CSS should be used for the presentation instead of tables. Using tables is the old, outdated way of page layout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM v10.7.2
I'm using Chrome and it shows up fine for me (I think)

a23bqs.png

Is that how it's supposed to look?
It's not centered or anything, just sitting at the left.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'm using Chrome and it shows up fine for me (I think)

a23bqs.png

Is that how it's supposed to look?
It's not centered or anything, just sitting at the left.

Do these show up in tables on your browser?

THE 5 POINTS OF
CALVINISM
THE 5 POINTS OF ARMINIANISM
TOTAL DEPRAVITY
Sin controls every part of man. He is spiritually dead and blind, and unable to obey, believe or repent. He continually sins, for his nature is completely evil.
FREE WILL
Sin does not control man’s will. He is sick and near-sighted, but still able to obey, believe and repent. He does not continually sin, for his nature is not completely evil.
UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION
God chose the elect solely on the basis of His free grace, not anything in them. He has a special love for the elect. God left the rest to be ****ed for their sins.
CONDITIONAL ELECTION
God chose the elect on the basis of their foreseen faith. He loves all men equally. God passed over no one, but gives everyone an equal chance to be saved.
LIMITED ATONEMENT
Christ died especially for the elect, and paid a definite price for them that guaranteed their salvation.
UNIVERSAL ATONEMENT
Christ died equally for all men, and paid a provisional price that made salvation possible for all but guaranteed it for none.
IRRESISTABLE GRACE
Saving grace is irresistible, for the Holy Spirit is invincible and intervenes in Man’s heart. He sovereignly gives the new birth, faith and repentance to the elect.
RESISTABLE GRACE
Saving grace is resistible for God cannot interfere with Man’s free will. Man is born again after he believes, for faith and repentance are not gifts of God.
PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS
God preserves all the elect and causes them to persevere in faith and obedience to the end. None are continually back-slidden or finally lost.
FALLING FROM GRACE
Only a few Christians continue in faith and obedience to the end (Arminians are divided over whether one can actually lose his salvation).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Chrome and Firefox use the same engine.

Here's how it renders on my 10.7.2 system with 5.1.2 safari

Screen Shot 2011-12-07 at 4.18.40 PM.png

OP
E
Reaction score

Here's how it renders on my 10.7.2 system with 5.1.2 safari

Yes this is exactly the problem. In FireFox I see the tables, but not so in Safari. I am trying to find an easy way to fix it. If this will take hours then I am not interested. I am not exactly a HTML programmer as I use Sea Monkey 95% of the time. Sometimes I use text Wrangler but only to edit and do very very very basic HTML. 95% of the people that visit the page are interested in the CONTENT and not the technical side of things. I personally do not care how many errors that engine will find with my site. All I care about is if the pages display good in the major web browsers. Are there any sites that can fix the errors for me and then give me the source?

Focusing too much on the "technical side" takes me away from the "theological and doctrine " side. But by all means if you know of a engine that can fix the errors and give me the source this would be best. Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I get the same as Dysfunction and I am using the same OS and Safari can you post a screen shot of what you get.
I just tried this on my HP PC using IE9 and the only difference is it puts the 5 points in a marked off column if this is what you are talking about.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you mean Chrome and Safari? ;)

The border shows up in UX (a Firefox build) and Opera but doesn't show up in Chrome and Safari. It would appear then that the code used to style the borders doesn't work in WebKit. Let me investigate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In the toolbar above the textbox where you enter your response is a picture of a paper clip. Use that to upload files including pictures.

I think I found your issue. Each of the <td> has the border set at .5pt which WebKit (Chrome and Safari) don't seem to like. Once you change it to 1pt, all is well. Here's a picture of what I mean:

border_fix.jpg

Making the change doesn't screw anything up in Opera either:

opera_border.jpg

Looks fine with the change in Firefox as well:

firefox_border.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Good call I would rep you but I apparently need to spread some around first.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all good. I love fooling around with stuff like this. The learning is worth it alone. ;)

It would also seem that the border is set to 0 for the table as a whole for some reason. If the above changes don't fix this completely, change that value to 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Did you mean Chrome and Safari? ;)

The border shows up in UX (a Firefox build) and Opera but doesn't show up in Chrome and Safari. It would appear then that the code used to style the borders doesn't work in WebKit. Let me investigate.

I might. I avoid web dev like the plague.

OP
E
Reaction score
Got it fixed! Thank you sir! I very much appreciate it! In a ideal world I would resolve all this by moving to Word Press, but the process and time it would take to move everything over far exceeds what I can do, so the site remains in HTML. The only issue I have is it seems that the very bottom of the border disappears and reappears at random. I do not know why it does this. Thanks again!

In the toolbar above the textbox where you enter your response is a picture of a paper clip. Use that to upload files including pictures.

I think I found your issue. Each of the <td> has the border set at .5pt which WebKit (Chrome and Safari) don't seem to like. Once you change it to 1pt, all is well. Here's a picture of what I mean:

View attachment 16397

Making the change doesn't screw anything up in Opera either:

View attachment 16398

Looks fine with the change in Firefox as well:

View attachment 16399

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it fixed! Thank you sir! I very much appreciate it! In a ideal world I would resolve all this by moving to Word Press, but the process and time it would take to move everything over far exceeds what I can do, so the site remains in HTML. The only issue I have is it seems that the very bottom of the border disappears and reappears at random. I do not know why it does this. Thanks again!
You're welcome. The border looks great in all the browsers now (Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera). :)

Hmmm, I don't seem to have this "disappearing bottom border" issue in any of the browsers. Is it the bottom of each cell or the table as a whole?

OP
E
Reaction score
You're welcome. The border looks great in all the browsers now (Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera). :)

Hmmm, I don't seem to have this "disappearing bottom border" issue in any of the browsers. Is it the bottom of each cell or the table as a whole?

See attached files. Thank you

I do not know what happened but it appears that the images are not showing. Odd. Okay check it out on my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51304622@N05/6479002763/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51304622@N05/6479002917/in/photostream

Screen shot 2011-12-08 at 5.32.52 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-12-08 at 5.32.33 PM.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which browser are you using? I'm using Safari 5.1.2, Chrome 17.0.963.2 (canary), Opera 12 (build 1193) & Firefox 8.0.1 and it looks fine in all of them for me.

OP
E
Reaction score
Which browser are you using? I'm using Safari 5.1.2, Chrome 17.0.963.2 (canary), Opera 12 (build 1193) & Firefox 8.0.1 and it looks fine in all of them for me.

Safari 5.1.1 for Snow Leopard. I see they released a update. I am downloading it.

Has Chrome gotten any better? The last I tried it I was not impressed with it, as it offered virtually nothing that Safari & FF did not have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.