2010 Logic board swap from 2.4 to 2.53?

Reaction score
Wondering if it's possible to swap out same year (2010), same model (15") logic board from core i5 2.4 to core i5 2.53. My 2.4 is freezing on me all the time and I've sent it in to a company for repair but to no avail, wondering if this swap is possible.

Please help

Thanks guys!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if it will work or not, but isn't your 2010 MBP still under warranty?

Reaction score
Same problem, here is the solution

I had to register just so I could help you. Don't pay for anything. Assuming yours is a mid 2010 MBP It is now part of a quality program:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010): Intermittent black screen or loss of video

It is a known problem and they will extend your warranty and replace the logic board with a revised logic board part #6360. That is the only known cure. There is a 150 page thread on the support forum on the issue. Bring that article with you to an apple store. They will run 2tests that your computer will probably pass but keep after them politely and you will get a new revised logic board.

-grey

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you so much grey! One question, do people have problems with laptop failing to start? Mine doesn't even start, it starts and shuts off right away

Reaction score
That seems pretty much in line with a lot of the other complaints. Mine was not that bad. But I did have 4 hard restarts the night before I took it in. Make sure you have installed the video update in the article reset the pRAM and most any other thing you can think of.

Search google for:

site:discussions.apple.com mid 2010 macbook pro problems freeze apple.com

And start reading

And another thread. Only 111 pages:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2420192?start=1650&tstart=0

When I went in they could not replicate but did it anyway as I had the article with me. I told them this was a known problem and I was trying not to kill a $2000 computer. And with the amount of hard restarts I was bound to do soon. The geniuses had not heard of this problem or that the warranty was extended but it just happened that one of them had a mid 2010 that was having the same problems, she did not know about the quality program and was testing hers when I left. Also show them the bottom of the article that tells the warranty is extended for 2years from purchase date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I would print as much documentation of the issue as you can and take it back to Apple. When my 3 year old Time Capsule died, I printed a bunch of documentation that it was a common problem and the Genius Bar replaced it without a hassle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.