Can I upgrade my PowerMac G4 MDD with a dual core cpu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
I have the PowerMac in my signature below. Is this able to be upgraded to the dual core processor? If so, which one do I get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I have the PowerMac in my signature below. Is this able to be upgraded to the dual core processor? If so, which one do I get?

I put an Apple dual 1.25 in mine but I understand you can put a 1.42 also. Make sure to get the big aluminum heat sink.

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
I put an Apple dual 1.25 in mine but I understand you can put a 1.42 also. Make sure to get the big aluminum heat sink.

Where did you buy it from and how much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did you buy it from and how much?
I got mine off of ebay a couple of years ago for $70.00 but I'm sure they're a lot cheaper now.:)

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
What do I search for? Is there a part number or something. I have been in Mac world for three days now so very new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do I search for? Is there a part number or something. I have been in Mac world for three days now so very new.
Apple G4 processors is what I just checked and I saw good prices.:)

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Next question, is this dual processors or a dual core processor. I never thought of it before, am I adding a second processor or replacing with a single dual core. I haven't opened up the Mac so I don't know what is in there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Next question, is this dual processors or a dual core processor. I never thought of it before, am I adding a second processor or replacing with a single dual core. I haven't opened up the Mac so I don't know what is in there.

In your case it would be "dual-processors". The ONLY PPC based Mac's that had "multi-core" processors were some of the last Powermac G5's.

- Nick

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Ok cool. Is that a good deal listed in that eBay link?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a very good deal.

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Is it hard to install? I have been building PCs for years but never messed with Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok cool. Is that a good deal listed in that eBay link?

Well you're certainly not going to get many cpu upgrades for $21.99 + shipping!:)

But consider this. You're computer already has a single 1.25ghz cpu...and with this "upgrade" it will give you dual 1.25ghz cpu's. To take advantage of dual cpu's...applications need to be written to use multiple processors.

Sadly few applications can do this...and the older the computer & the older the applications...the less likely any software you use will be multi-cpu "friendly".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As stated yes you can, but at the end of the day it will still perform at 1.25GHz, and not 2.5GHz. As Nick points out hardly any software utilized the DP ~ maybe some photo software did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it hard to install? I have been building PCs for years but never messed with Mac.

It's not hard to install the main thing is clean the dies and heat sink real good I use 99% alcohol or a non residue contact spray. apply the thermal paste very, very thin or the "Buicks" tend to overheat:) Be sure you feel a solid clunk when you press it into its seat I takes more pressure that you may think.

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
As stated yes you can, but at the end of the day it will still perform at 1.25GHz, and not 2.5GHz. As Nick points out hardly any software utilized the DP ~ maybe some photo software did.

Oh ok, I did not know that. On the PC side I have lots of software and games that utilize two cores.

Ok, no reason to get that then. Better to get the new DVD+/-RW drive so I can read and write both. What one works with my Mac in my signature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A Pioneer late model 22X speed DVR will be the shot. There are several how-tos on the 'net and they are pretty easy to follow, sand Pioneer is recognized as native.

Just make sure you get an IDE superdrive and not SATA which predominate now and are cheaper.

http://www.sterpin.net/uk/superdukp.htm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.