Screen Problems

Reaction score
My iMac is a few years old now and I'm having a pixel problem. There's a blue line running down the left side of my screen. How do I fix this? Also, there's random dark spots (Not dirt, I've cleaned the screen plenty) that I'm not sure how they got there or how to get them off. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a link of a pic I took (http://i39.tinypic.com/f4gwmb.jpg) of what I'm talking about. The dark spots are to the left of the Apple wallpaper logo and bottom left of the blue pixel line.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this test for us:

Take a screen shot of your desktop with the blue vertical line and dark spots. Examine the screen shot to see if the same blue line and dark spots show up.

1. If the screen shot is clear (normal) that means the problem could be caused by defects in the LCD itself.

2. If the screen shot looks the same (blue line and dark spots) it could be a problem with the graphics chipset.

Post back and let us know and we'll go from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like a defective LCD. There's no way to repair it other than replacement.

If your iMac is still under warranty (Apple Care), make an appointment with Apple and take it on. They'll change out the LCD. If it's not under warranty, take it on in anyway and see what they say. Otherwise you'll have to pay to have the LCD replaced. I don't really know what the cost would be but you can check with the folks at iResQ.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.