Help, my MBP has stopped working.. please read on if you have any ideas

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a MBP 15inch intel i5 - 8 months old. I was shooting tethered to the computer with my Canon photographic gear all day with no problems and then suddenly it has gone dead, no life. If I plug in the power there is no life, no green light as usual. I remember seeing the battery life at 75% just before the computer went black. I have a fear that something with the local power socket at the museum we were photographing at has somehow shorted out the power to the computer. Is there any way of telling?

I am on a job in Mongolia, Ulaan Baatar and am freaking out quietly that this is a complete disaster. If anyone has any ideas, could you please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response I'll give that a go..

and let you know if I have any luck..
Flic

QUOTE=applef;1336715]Hi,
I have a MBP 15inch intel i5 - 8 months old. I was shooting tethered to the computer with my Canon photographic gear all day with no problems and then suddenly it has gone dead, no life. If I plug in the power there is no life, no green light as usual. I remember seeing the battery life at 75% just before the computer went black. I have a fear that something with the local power socket at the museum we were photographing at has somehow shorted out the power to the computer. Is there any way of telling?

I am on a job in Mongolia, Ulaan Baatar and am freaking out quietly that this is a complete disaster. If anyone has any ideas, could you please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

OP
A
Reaction score
Re: reset the SMC

Hi cwa107
I tried the reset SMC option and I now have a flickering green light on the mag safe lead. It's slightly better than nothing. I remember something vaguely similar on my older MBP which you could take the battery out and a combination of keys started it up again. Perhaps it is just this problem which is better than a fried mother board or HD.
Thanks for your help.
F

and let you know if I have any luck..
Flic

QUOTE=applef;1336715]Hi,

Thank you.
[/QUOTE]

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would also recommend checking both the MagSafe port and the connector for debris. Sometimes they have a tendency to pick up little bits of metal dust (since the are magnetic) and may need to be cleaned.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi CWA107,
Just to update you.. I am now very happy as today I had help from a lady from Nairobi living in Mongolia who helped translate for me. She walked me to "Computer Land", a building full of computers and peripherals, all PC though. A friendly man working with Intel computers opened the back of the computer and pulled out the battery, plugged the MBP into the power and the computer then powered up straight away! That chime really is a sweet sound when you are so worried.
I still don't know what happened so I am putting it down to a power surge. In any case I have all my files, and I'm typing on the laptop now with no concerns, and of course the files are now backed up on an external drive!
Thanks again for your help, it was very much appreciated!
Felicity

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.