Dmg files opening themselves? Is it lion or a virus?

Reaction score
Please help,

My iMac mounts every dmg file on the desktop while I am not even in the room, (the spinning color wheel) comes up to show busy and my desktop pretty much freezes and I have to reboot/restart,. Recently installed lion and then this happened twice since. I have Integro anti-virus, does this sound like a virus or could it be lion, has anyone had a similar problem?
Couldn't find anything similar on the internet.

Please help, this is worrying :(

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
When you say 'every dmg' file - do you mean every dmg file resident on your HDD gets mounted - or just that they automatically mount after download? If the latter - Are you using Safari? Make sure you go into Safari>Preferences>General and ensure that 'Open safe files after downloading' is not checked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...and no, it's not a virus.

OP
S
Reaction score
Every dmg on HDD

Thank you for replying,

It opens every dmg on the HDD. The desktop is filled with dmg icons, causing everything to freeze.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Which DMGs are opening? Are these disk images of applications that you have downloaded? What have you installed or changed recently on the machine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you SURE you did not accidentally highlight them all? I did that maybe 2x by accident and they all opened! :D

OP
S
Reaction score
.dmg opening spontaneously

Thank you for replies,

Every single.dmg file that is on my hard drive is mounted on the desktop.
The only recent change was installing lion OS X,

no I didn't highlight anything, the first time it happened I was sitting in front of my mac working on photoshop and then it started mounting dmg files on the desktop, as it was happening I started closing them and got a fright so disconnected my wi-fi access which stopped loading more.

The second time I was not in front of my mac, I left the room and when I came back the desktop was full of mounted dmg files and my mac had frozen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you by any chance have Remote Desktop sharing enabled in sharing? Just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Can you take a screenshot? It may help us understand more.

OP
S
Reaction score
I can try

Can you take a screenshot? It may help us understand more.

I will try take a screen shot, will have to wait for it to happen again and as long as it doesn't freeze my mac again.

Thanks

Reaction score
MB Air opening windows in Yahoo search & MAIL by itself!

Having a similar problem, but My 2011 Macbook Air (Lion 10.7.)
is opening MAIL windows AND Yahoo search pages and auto-entering HUGE text files that look like spam emails WHEN I'm not EVEN IN THE ROOM.

I walk in and it's opened yahoo (I don't have a yahoo account - my girlfriend has check her account on my machine 2-3 times?) and it's done a search all by itself.
The text looks like this:
" Work is presented as a tomorrow he is a you are will will laugh him. As is a you go online if you are him and him and him and him you and him are you him and him and him or her you are a you are for me. Me me me me me me him him him him "

What in the world is this and how has it made it onto my Air. 20 years on Mac, and I've never seen such a thing.
ideas?
thanks, Wellsn

C

chas_m

Sims:

WHY do you have ANY dmg files on your desktop? DMG files are for installing software. Once you've installed the software, there is no reason to keep the DMG file.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Having a similar problem, but My 2011 Macbook Air (Lion 10.7.)
is opening MAIL windows AND Yahoo search pages and auto-entering HUGE text files that look like spam emails WHEN I'm not EVEN IN THE ROOM.

I walk in and it's opened yahoo (I don't have a yahoo account - my girlfriend has check her account on my machine 2-3 times?) and it's done a search all by itself.
The text looks like this:
" Work is presented as a tomorrow he is a you are will will laugh him. As is a you go online if you are him and him and him and him you and him are you him and him and him or her you are a you are for me. Me me me me me me him him him him "

What in the world is this and how has it made it onto my Air. 20 years on Mac, and I've never seen such a thing.
ideas?
thanks, Wellsn

It certainly seems like you've got some kind of malware on your system. Have you installed any software from a "less than reputable" source recently?

I think your best bet would be to give MacScan a try. They have a free, fully functional trial, so you needn't worry about buying it if you don't feel the need to run AV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.