Difficult issue - OSX Lion

Reaction score
Hello all I will try not to write a wall of text.

I am a Mac newb, however I am a PC expert and I've done a lot of research to try and find a solution before posting.

I recently inherited an iMac that already had OSX Lion installed. I was able to reset the system password from recovery in the shell and gain access to the computer, but I don't have a way of getting access to the itunes account and don't have a desire to do so. The probem is, I don't have an itunes account with OSX Lion purchased so I can't wipe the discs and reinstall.

I was able to trick the App Store to show me the reinstall OSX Lion, however it tells me a newer version is installed and I would need to move that app into the trash. I would love to do this, but I can't find said app (read my original point about being a Mac newb). I tried looking in the applications folder where some people have said it exists, but I can't find it there.

If I could just find a way of purchasing OSX Lion in the app store on top of the current install, I think I would be on my way through the recovery process. Does anyone have an idea or trick?

OP
D
Reaction score
OK - so literally after posting this, my friend the Mac expert just called and told me to hold the option key down all the time while clicking on purchase and it will redownload and install.

It's now attached to my account and I'm off and running.

OP
D
Reaction score
Error 1004 during Lion Recovery

I'm getting error 1004 during Lion recovery right after logging into itunes account to verify Lion purchase.

I've verified the partition and the drive and it came back with no errors.

Any ideas here?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You might try buying Lion on USB drive for $69 and booting from that to do an erase and clean install.

OP
D
Reaction score
You might try buying Lion on USB drive for $69 and booting from that to do an erase and clean install.

I'm actually going the Snow Leopard -> Lion route. I borrowed my friend's disc and I was able to properly partition and format everything.

Lion is definitely a buggy cat.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What bugs are we talking about? It's not that bad.

OP
D
Reaction score
What bugs are we talking about? It's not that bad.

Did... did ya not read my posts?

Failed creating partition - failed erasing properly - failed logging into itunes during installation - failed to download on new account...

Snow Leopard disk utility fixed my issues. I'm now currently up and running on Lion after the ordeal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do not consider those bugs with Lion as I have not seen others have issues with Disk Utility in Lion or the iTunes store either.

I read your posts. I have installed Lion Clean and upgrade on many systems and never had one issue. Not sure why you did.

But anyway, hope your SL then Lion way works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.