Best way to get an OS X 10.4 installation disk?

Reaction score
Hi

I for the life of me can't find the install disks for my iMac 2 GHz Power PC G5. I've looked on Amazon - $70. eBay - even more (I'm in Canada). Called Mac - they don't have them any more. Called MacMall - not helpful.

Here's the reason why I'm looking for it. I am trying to clone my iMac and downloaded SuperDuper! to do so. Unfortunately, it fails because of an "unfindable" file in Adobe Photoshop. Others have had the same problem, (e.g.Trouble deleting a "nonexistent" file [Archive] - macosx.com and [SOLVED] Unable to delete a file in OS X [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums). It seems that various attempts to fix don't work, and my main hope is that the suggestion that involves using Disk Utility First Aid will help. However, this requires a startup disk, which I can't find.

I don't even know if it will work once I get the startup disk, so I'm not keen to fork out a bunch of dough for a new install disk without being sure it'll work.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, search didn't show me anything similar. Any suggestions?

K

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah, I should have mentioned ebay.ca was even worse. Kijiji doesn't even turn up any search results. Maybe I'll try Facebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
$75-100 is the going rate, you will be very very lucky to find it cheaper.

OP
H
Reaction score
So I guess my question is, should I buy a retail version of OS X 10.4 to use disk utility to try to expunge that ****ed unfindable file? Will this work?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This was an interesting read (followed the links you posted). Don't really have a solution other than maybe trying Carbon Copy Cloner.
I recently used it to make a bootable backup (Intel Mac) and what I remember that may help is being able to exclude folders and files from the backup. It may be possible to exclude your problem file and at least get a workable back up.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah, I had considered that. I'll go ahead and do it now that you suggest it. ****ed frustrating that Super Duper doesn't have that feature. Thanks for your reply!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yeah, I had considered that. I'll go ahead and do it now that you suggest it. ****ed frustrating that Super Duper doesn't have that feature. Thanks for your reply!

You are welcome. Hope it works out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.