The bigger iMac problem at the moment...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iMac
My main problem is a message that keeps popping up saying the startup disc is full. The usual 'clean it out if you aren't using it' has been done, as best as I can see, but I'm needing more space. I'm not one to pull apart electronic things, so: what do I do to get more 'startup disc' space? I'm assuming take the computer to my local Mac dealers, pay $$$ and get it fixed, yes?
Any and all help appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I'm heading the more experienced users off at the pass here, but you need to get specific about your machine. Hard drive size would be a great starter, OS version, what MAChine it is.. you mention an iMac in the header.. but have a MBP as your spec.

You'll get the help you need if you give the info required.

I have read quite a few times on here that there is an unwritten rule that you should have at least 40-50GB free for your Mac to wiggle around on your boot-up drive. So if you don't have at least that.. you need to start removing more than what you removed before posting here.

good luck

OP
LTS Jayce
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iMac
Sorry; I hadn't updated the new addition to the household. I still have the MBP, it's been faultless thus far.
As for spec', will this help any?
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The resolution to the problem is: Either install a larger internal hard drive in your iMac (difficult task) or buy an external hard drive and start off loading stuff on to it clearing up at least 20% free space on the internal drive.

OP
LTS Jayce
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iMac
Larger internal hard drive is hard due to...? $$$$ or ? The external thing I can do

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Installing a hard drive in an iMac is a difficult task. Why? Because the entire front panel display has to be detached from the machine in order to get at the inside of the machine. The process can be viewed at iFixit: The free repair manual. You can draw your own conclusion as to whether you would want to do it yourself.

C

chas_m

Here's the bottom line: your hard drive is full because of something you've added (the apps and system don't take up that much space).

Most likely, you've larded up your boot drive with:
a. Too many photos
b. Too much video
c. Too much audio
d. Some combination of the above. You will likely already know which category you've overindulged in.

Solution:
1. If your photos are the problem and they are in iPhoto, move the iPhoto library to an external drive.
2. If your music is in iTunes it is the problem, move the iTunes library to an external drive.
3. If video is the issue and the video's AREN'T in iPhoto, move them (as a collection of files, not the entire Movies folder) to an external drive. If your videos ARE in iPhoto, see #1.

90 percent of the time, this WILL solve the problem.

If you feel that you've already done this and you still have a "startup disc full" issue, then you likely have a misdirected backup file hiding somewhere or a temp file that won't go away. Grand Perspective can help you locate the issue.

OP
LTS Jayce
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iMac
Solid, simple advice: I shall look further into this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.