iBook G4 - Blank White Screen!

Reaction score
Hello there--

Been struggling for months about how to fix this issue. I own an iBook G4 (OS X 10.4.1 Tiger) as of 2005 or so that has worked perfectly since. I also own this MacBook which I am using to write this plea for assistance, but use the iBook as a computer for all of my quirky gaming crap. Anyways, it's still a very important device to me. Back to the point...

I have dropped my iBook G4 off of my bed a couple of times as it slides off of my lap, but has worked 100% fine after, except for immediatley following the most recent drop. The first time I dropped it, it fell about 1 foot onto my hardwood floor. It landed on its side as the notebook moniter was at a 90˚ angle. This caused a crack in the upper-right hand corner in the [only] the plastic and the iBook still worked fine. I dropped it a second time while playing a fullscreen game in the same scenario off of my bed, and the screen turned blank white.
Let me set this straight: It appears that MOST all of the computer is working fine (still hear startup noises, battery works, powers up, etc.) But here's where it goes wrong:
I start up the iBook G4, hear that famous Apple® chime, the screen backlight comes on, and I am left with nothing but a blank whitish grayish screen! No  logo or anything that I can see. No sunburst loading circle. Nothing but a blank white screen. The volume can still be adjusted (makes the squishing noises) but the brightness cannot. I am assuming that something got unconfortably jumbled or disconnected in the iBook during that last fall. I have heard that it may have something to do with a LVDS connector cable or something. The backlight DOES still work, there is just no icons, words, etc. on the screen; just blank white light.
Due to my cat-like curiosity and strong desire to get this thing fixed, I attempted part dissassembly without know exactly what I was looking to fix. I got overwhelemed and will soon be re-assembling the device until someone can confidently tell me what I need to get in there and do! I
I have suspicion that it is the LVDS cable needing a bump or nudge into a socket of some sort, but I have no proof to base this on other than reading about semi-similar problems on the Internet. However, in related problems, usually their screen is black. Mine is white. I am not in a financial place to be spending any $$$ on a new cable, part, etc. but I do believe that this problem is self-fixable for free.

Issue Overview after drop:
-Notebook powers up + chimes
-Screen light comes on, but stays at a blank white screen
-Sound volume works, brightness does not

Please PM me or reply to this thread with any details, advice, resources, tutorials, photos, etc. ANY and ALL is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
-S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try plugging it into an external display once. Also try disconnecting all power for about half an hour that sometimes works for me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Try plugging it into an external display once. Also try disconnecting all power for about half an hour that sometimes works for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

1.)I will try the external display if and when I find one in my house, but I will need the actual iBook G4 to work without an external display for normal use. I've heard that verifying if the iBook works on an external display will determine whether there are connection issues, broken logic board (which I do not think is the case), etc.
2.)As for the disconnection of all power, I have tried this, even during much longer time intervals [a month, an hour, 30 minutes, a week], so I know that doesn't help anything.

Thanks for the feedback. +Rep to ya.

Still need more help from everyone!

Thanks in advance,
-S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.