Internal Microphone Input Volume Changes Itself

Reaction score
I seem to be having a problem with the built-in, internal microphone in my MacBook Pro. It's the only microphone I use and I don't plug in anything else. I also don't ever use a line-in or anything like that; I only use this microphone.

Anyway, the input volume will change itself to slightly over 3/4 volume even after I change it. I have to have it at about 1/2 volume so that my voice doesn't start clipping when I talk in Mumble (a voice chat program). However, when I change it, it automatically adjusts itself back to 3/4 volume. I'm not sure if it's just when I close System Preferences or when I restart my computer or close any programs that use my mic.

I'm just wondering if anyone know what could be causing my problem and if there's an easy way to fix it.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. For me it seems to happen when I have my headset (with mic) plugged in. Using mac os 10.6.8. I upgraded recently (from 10.6.6 i think). I also recently installed Google Music Manager.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.