Preventing DNS falling through to default result

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

The problem I'm having is where work's DNS servers hand out a default result when it can't resolve a DNS name.

Is there a way to catch and prevent this behaviour to fail when a DNS name doesn't exist instead of redirecting me back to the same site all the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use a public DNS server like Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Add your work DNS servers in System Preferences > Network (select the if you're using there), then Advanced > DNS.

Then add the search domains. This should work, it works for me when I'm in the office.

OP
H
Reaction score
You guys are misunderstanding. I am a senior engineer. I know to set baby stuff like DNS servers and search paths etc.

The problem is that the work DNS servers - which I have to use to resolve internal only servers - give a default result for unknown names when queried (eg for a typo or if the recursive query didn't come back in time).

I need to find a way to catch the answer when it's a default and set it to failed instead which is the normal DNS behaviour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are an engineer and are looking for DNS to resolve typos?

From your OP it sounds like your work DNS serves are the issue not the MBP.

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache will clear the local DNS cache on the MBP.

After that you might just have an internal DNS problem. Are they windows DNS servers running AD integrated zones that don't allow dynamic updates?

What results do you get with nslookup when querying the internal DNS servers?

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes the work DNS servers are the issue and outside of my control in the corporate structure.

Hence why I'm considering a clever workaround hack to try to catch and except this behaviour to override it.

I've already got some of it caught in various places in my shell profile but other commands and my browser will resolve and be automatically redirected to the default fallback result without me being able to intercept it which is why I'm trying to figure out if there is any system wide way of affecting the local resolver onm y Mac to work around this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the DNS problem you are having is related to .local lookups?

Network browsing or intranet? Are you trying to traverse subnets?

The .local multicasting from the Mac is limited to one subnet.

Look at some of these.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.