deleted systems preferences

Reaction score
i accidentally deleted systems preferences. after juggling things around i managed to get the icon back on the doc, but now everything related to it in applications has the suffix .app, which i don't remember seeing before.

what have i done wrong, does it matter, and how should i fix it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The extensions setting has nothing to do with System Preferences so you can take comfort in knowing that it wasn't something you changed there. The fix is simple: Finder > Preferences > Advanced > uncheck "Show all filename extensions."

OP
B
Reaction score
deleted system preferences

i've gone to finder, then system preferences in applications, but i don't know how to get to advanced. from there i realize that i can choose to uncheck, as you said.

i tried opening system preferences but i don't see advanced in there. i've never had to use it before. :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He didn't say "Advanced in System Preferences". He's telling you to open the Finder. Then select the Finder preferences, advanced. Let us know if that works.

OP
B
Reaction score
finder preferences? i feel so stupid. i don't understand at all. once i open finder, i have 4 places to go: desktop, applications, documents, and my own list (or whatever it's called).

where should i be looking?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go to the Finder menu option:

Screen Shot 2011-12-05 at 7.51.47 PM.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
got it! okay. i unchecked all file extensions. all the extensions are gone. was there any reason i ever needed that box checked in the first place, or was that a default?

does that mean that it really didn't matter at all that they were there? after all, as i now understand it, they're still there, they just aren't showing.

so whatever i did/did not do didn't do anything but show the extensions. i'll try not to do that again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the files still have the extensions but they are simply "hidden" from view. As to why it got checked, your guess is as good as mine. It could have been set by an application or through another setting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.