Questions for Giving my MBP to a friend for Christmas?

Reaction score
I will be giving my mid 2009 MBP to a good friend for Christmas and will be
getting a new MBP. I am wondering a few things.

1.What is the best way to transfer from one MBP to another? There are some
applications I don't want to transfer.
2. I have VMfusion with windows 7 on my current MBP. Can I transfer that over to
the new one, if I decide I still need it?
3. All of the apps I have purchased, (pages, keynote, aperture, etc.) Can I
leave them on for her and then reinstall from the Apple store on my new one?
Is there anything I should know that might be important in giving this as a gift
to my friend?

Thanks, Roxanne

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's very nice of you to give your friend the 2009 MBP as a gift. As far as the applications are concerned, you're really obligated according to the Apple EULA (license) to either give her the original application disks with the machine or remove the applications before presenting the machine to her.

Fusion and other apps that you own (after they have been removed from the 2009 MBP) can be reinstalled on your new machine. Don't forget to remove all your personal information from the machine before giving it to her. Things like bank accounts, credit cards, names, etc, all should be removed.

If you have any other questions about this, ask away.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks. What is the best way to transfer my programs? I have some purchased through the app store and some like photoshop elements bought separately. Should I transfer via Time Machine or Migration assistant, or do a total re-install?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anything purchased from the Mac App store can be re-downloaded without cost using the same Apple ID that you used when making the original purchase.

As far as all other data, applications, settings, and so forth, I usually recommend using Time Machine as it's easier and less confusing than the Migration Assistant. Do not reinstall as that may cause problems.

The first time you turn on your new MBP, it will ask you if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. Just respond yes, select Time Machine, make sure your TM external drive is attached to the new MBP, and within a short time everything will be transferred over.

Keep in mind that a new MBP will come pre-installed with Lion and Apple is no longer supplying disks with new machines. However, the hard drive will come prepared with a Recovery partition in addition to the Lion partition.

OP
H
Reaction score
Should I delete the "users" folder before giving it to my friend? It contains 3
folders: one with my name, one that says "shared" and one called "test"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can do that if you wish. However, why not first create a new admin user account for your friend? Name the account with her name and a very simple password that you and she will remember. Then log on to that new account and remove your old account. Later on if she wants to change the password on her account she can do that from System Preferences, Security.

OP
H
Reaction score
I added her as a new administrator/user, then deleted myself as a user. Problem is: I had Windows 7 installed and now when I click on VM Fusion it can't find
windows.How can I tell if it is on the MBP? And if it isn't, do I just install it again from the Windows CD? I seem to remember having to partition of part of my Mac? But can't remember how I did that.

Thanks so much, Roxanne

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You double posted your question. I removed the one in the Windows forum. Let's keep it all here together as one thread. Anyway.....

Fusion loads the VM according to which account is loaded. That's likely why you can't see it.

The Windows 7 VM should be located in your Documents folder, under VMWare Fusion, Virtual Machines. Let me know if you can find it.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the double post. Wasn't sure whether to post under notebooks or the other forum. In my documents folder is the VM fusion, but it says Windows XP Pro. I had previously installed Win7 Home Premium. When I try to open fusion, it says "can't find the Operating System". Probably because I had never installed Windows XP Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mentioned previously that you remembered partitioning your MBP to install Windows 7. Installing Windows with Fusion does not require partitioning. Are you sure you didn't install Windows 7 using the Boot Camp Assistant? And then perhaps used Fusion to virtualize the partition and run it as a VM?

OP
H
Reaction score
I really don't remember. Is there a way to search my computer to tell if Win 7 is installed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Reboot the computer and hold down your OPTION key as soon as you hear the "chime". If Windows 7 is installed on a separate partition, it should show up as a boot option on screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.