The Apple Addiction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.2; 2.4GHz i5; 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Ugh... I hate being that guy, but after a week with my MacBook Pro, I'm feeling this bug to have all Apple everything. I'm sure you'll all say, it's normal, but is it really designed to create that effect?

I spent a few hours tonight really exploring iPhoto, importing images, and appreciating all it does. Sure, it's no Photoshop with editing ability, but for cropping and light touchups, it does the job. I was always good with iTunes, even when Windows was my default OS, so no surprises there. And I love iMovie -- always have.

But here I am with a Blackberry phone and an Android tablet, and I can't help but feel like I need an iPhone (again) and an iPad, just to better enjoy the overall user experience. I think I want the ease of syncing between devices and having all my machinery speak the same language. Windows never gave me that opportunity.

Tried syncing my BlackBerry through the Desktop Manager today, somehow lost all my calendar information, and part of me thinks that wouldn't have happened with an iPhone. Maybe I'm just trying to justify blowing more money on myself during the holidays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Don't worry, it's normal.

I started off with an iPad, then 6 months later I got an iPhone and a couple of months ago I got an iMac. And I've been trying to convince the missus to get a MacBook Air... It's a slippery slope!

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the Forum!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes, it's normal and Yes - definitely designed to create that effect. Apple certainly wants it that way. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, it's normal and Yes - definitely designed to create that effect. Apple certainly wants it that way. :)

Yeah, no doubt about it that any company wants their products to be addictive. But the reason Apple is so successful is because theirs actually work well and last a long time. That's what we all want: a product worth the premium price that doesn't give us stress and require tons of maintenance and lasts. What more could you ask for? ...ok, maybe lower prices but you can't have it all. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ipad2 iphone4wht ipodtouch(3) ipodnano appletv
It's called the Halo effect and yes I'm addicted because it works and looks so good. I started with the 1st gen ipod nano and then got the Macbook 13'. Next was the ipod touch, ipad then iphone. Like BrainLachoreVPI said it's normal but only for Apple:).

Reaction score
It happened to me too. iPhone 4 last year when it came out for Verizon around February or March, an iPad 2 in August, and now today my iMac is being delivered. I see a macbook air in my wife's future as well...Don't struggle, it's easier and more enjoyable when you don't. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Cognates on getting your new MBP, Apple products are addictive for me :)because of three main areas.

1. There technology works, cross communication makes ones daily tasks very easy.
2. They are a joy to use, as well as pleasing to the eye.
3. Back up via Apple care or a visit to a GB, gives one confidence just incase ( YOU OWN A CAT) ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Yep, totally happened to me too.

iPods, then iPad, then iPhone and typing this on my 27" iMac all networked together by my Airport Extreme.

Hope to be able to have a Macbook Pro soon.

But as the others have said, the only reason I've done this is because the stuff works. I would never drop this kind of money on gimmicks.

This stuff works, works well and is a pleasure to work with. Makes certain parts of my life much easier and stress free.

As we can afford it, all computers in this house will eventually be some sort of Mac.

And yes, it's very addictive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP 2.3Ghz Intel dual core i5
Very normal! But watch out cause your bank account will not appreciate your addiction!

C

chas_m

Wow, so YOU'RE the guy who actually bought an Android tablet! :D

Just messin' with ya ...

I basically agree with the others, but to me it's all about the whole end-to-end thing. The App Store is awesome, which makes the iPhone awesome, which makes the Mac Awesome, which makes the Mac App Store awesome, which makes iCloud awesome (not necessarily in that order).

I also like that Apple spends a lot of time *actually thinking* about how customers will want to use their products, and generally gearing their efforts to the end user as the most important part of their pipeline. Most companies think the shareholder is the most important part of their pipeline, or the stores or advertisers. Not Apple.

They're not perfect, but the fact that they focus on US as the centre of their universe is sadly rare and a big part of why they do what they do and why people respond to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet

It definitely has, and it started with the ipod for me, then the iphone, ipad and now a mac mini :) I'm in Apple heaven at the moment. Although I am not entirely new to macs, over the years in Uni, I would just sit and play around with the macs in the library while working on assignments, exploring the endless possibilities with the Apple OS.

For me it's a mcuh more polished sophisticated machine then any Windows PC or laptops that I have currently. Everything works, just as its suppose to. Even if you don't know your way around fully yet, it invites you to explore deeper :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.
Picking up my first Mac computer in Sunday (iMac 27") and already started to convince my girlfriend she needs to replace her PC laptop with a Macbook Pro !!!
If its any consolation I've turned into 'that guy' and I haven't even got the Mac yet !
Looking forward to the benefits so many people extol in relation to Mac ownership.
Bought the IMac for photography work (fed up of my PC either crashing or running really slow during Photoshop and Lightroom work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
I always believed Photoshop ran better on Macs then it did Windows. :) So I don't blame you for being one of your reasons to switching. I am having quite fun with Photoshop and Light room on the Mac (managed to get a hold of second hand copies locally) runs pretty well. :) Currently editing and re-touching some of vacations with Lightroom. Amazing program.

Enjoy and welcome to the forums :) And to Macs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Same here. Started with the iPods, then iPhone, then MacBook Pro, and somewhere between then and now, I have a lot of Apple stuff! I like it...honestly. I don't want it to change. If something works well, I want to use everything they make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I think thats a pretty common disease. I started with a Mini. Now we (family), have 2 IMacs, Mac Air,3 IPhones, a MacBook Pro and a Airport Extreme.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most companies think the shareholder is the most important part of their pipeline, or the stores or advertisers. Not Apple.
Let's not delude ourselves - profit is the number one goal for Apple and always will be. Customer satisfaction is simply how Apple chooses to secure profits (along with a higher than industry average profit margin). There's nothing altruistic about their "customer first" business practices.

For all of us (myself included): at the risk of sounding like a cynic, I'd suggest that you try to remain critical of your "addiction." There's nothing wrong with liking the philosophy or product line that a company offers but you do risk becoming a fanboy or unreasonable apologist if you don't remain critical. Apple is far from perfect (as is everything in life) and as long as you keep this in mind and are willing to change your views, you'll be a better consumer of technology.

One thing to consider - try to differentiate between an informed desire for a product and being swayed by marketing practices. It's hard (and we've all succumbed to attractive marketing before) but it's important especially with Apple who has a very persuasive marketing program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Same story here.. iPod.. then iPhone 3gs... broke that.. used a 3g for a few months.. then an iPhone 4, then the wife got an iPhone.. then an iMac.. then a base station..
no reason/$ currently to add an iPad at the moment.. but maybe after tax time comes to pass.. and some bills as well..
i try to be as neutral as possible basically what van said above me. just make your self really justify the purchase.. every apple device we have purchased (not iPod) replaced an inferior or broken device.. thats also why there hasnt been any new additions since the iMac in february..
pump the brakes.. see what you can benefit from purchasing, but enjoy

C

chas_m

Let's not delude ourselves - profit is the number one goal for Apple and always will be.

No, sorry, you're wrong.

Take it from someone who used to work there: making the best electronic devices and software in the world is Apple's number-one goal, and has been since Steve came back. Profit, he (correctly) believed, *naturally follows* best-in-class excellence so you don't have to focus on profit. You may not make the MOST profit in the world, but you will make a sufficient amount.

If that's "kool-aid," then it is kool-aid that everyone at Apple has drunk deeply from.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm sure the shareholders would beg to differ. Let's also not forget that the reason for starting a business is to make money. Otherwise, they'd give the products away at a much cheaper price instead of selling products with high profit margins. Let's take the iPad as an example - it has a profit margin north of 50% (source).

If profit wasn't the motivating factor, why even have a profit margin? Why not just break even?

Profit Margins

No code has to be inserted here.

I'd say that those values highlight Apple's motivation to have high profit margins. Again, if it wasn't profit that was driving the company, why would the margins be so much higher than any other PC manufacturer?

To use your words, yes, anyone at Apple who thinks that the company is acting altruistically or with intentions that are purely non-corporate have had the "kool-aid."

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Ha - Sorry chas - no way do I buy any of that. Apple's margins are some of the highest around. Believe me - there's never been a board meeting in recent history that went along the lines - just make 'sufficient' profit. Any publicly traded company answers to their shareholders first, especially these days. Let's not get crazy here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.