Help!...iPod Touch is tweaking out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
My wife has a second generation iPod Touch currently running iOS 4.2.1. A couple of hours ago she slid the "slide to unlock" bar and suddenly it went to the Apple boot screen. I turned it off and told her to wait until we get home so she can try to restore it. Well, we just got home and she turned it on and now it has become unusable. It goes through the same cycle of erratic behavior: when she unlocks it, the volume increases itself to max volume then the "slide to power off" comes up--once again on it's own, after she presses cancel it sleeps itself. The lock button is a bit jammed so that might explain the second behavior, but the first is a complete mystery. She has just tried to restore it and it keeps doing the same thing. Her iPod has become useless as it cycles endlessly doing the same two things over and over. Has anyone ever had this same problem? Does anyone have an idea of what might be the cause of all of this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since a software restore didn't correct the problem, it almost certain lays in the hardware. Perhaps it's a short in the circuit board, the volume button sticking, or who knows what. You can try sending it to iResQ for a free analysis and repair quote.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.