Burn .dmg file to CD on Windows, use on Mac

H

hollerz1

Hi,
I think I am getting an iBook in a couple of weeks, and since i'm on 56k I have downloaded a few big files on my PC. I searched on google to see if I could just burn the files normally and they would work on Mac. But I found that if I open the files in Windows the Data Fork would get damaged or something.

The file was a .sit, and i downloaded StuffIt for windows to see what was in the file. I extracted the .dmg file and put it in a folder which i want to burn to cd.

My first question is, will the .dmg be damaged, or will I still be able to open it on the Mac?

Second, on my google search again it said that executables (i'm assuming .dmg is a Mac executable?) cant just be burned normally, but I could really figure it out from what was said how I do it. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!

OP
S

Shekky_ca

hmmmm PC's normally have the wierdest Operating system for burning mac software. But I don't believe .dmg files don't have resource forks if I'm not mistaken. It's normally the .img files made on OS9 that do have resource forks

but if you can compress it to .sit somehow then your gold.

OP
K

kalen

Shekky_ca said:
hmmmm PC's normally have the wierdest Operating system for burning mac software. But I don't believe .dmg files don't have resource forks if I'm not mistaken. It's normally the .img files made on OS9 that do have resource forks

but if you can compress it to .sit somehow then your gold.

alright, i think i missed the answer

can you burn a mac .dmg file in windows? if you can will it work on a mac?

if not, how do you burn a .dmg file on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Google "burning dmg windows" and you can read for days. Seems many people are doing this. Something like TransMac also seems like it would do the trick:

TransMac Details

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.